Campus Profile: Liz Huss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Name: Elizabeth Huss, but I go by Liz

Year in School: Junior

Major: ACCOUNTING!

What’s your favorite thing about UIC?

My favorite thing about UIC is that this university has the feel of being on a typical college campus, but it is only a stone’s throw from downtown Chicago. You really get the best of both worlds here.

What are you involved with at UIC?

I am on the executive board of the Student Activities Board, while holding membership in the Accounting Club, Beta Alpha Psi, Cornerstone City Groups and I am also a UIC College of Business Student Ambassador.

How has being involved in those things helped to shape your experience in college so far?

Growth. Growth. Growth. I’ve learned a lot in my classes, but its my extra curricular activities that have taught me the most in terms of teamwork, leadership, communication skills and pursuing my passions.

What are you most excited about for next semester?

Next semester, I am excited to be working for an accounting firm downtown for tax season. It is a great opportunity to be immersed in a type of growth you can’t always receive from the classroom. Its about 60 hours a week, which is a lot, but I am interested to see what life after college can potentially look like.

What advice would you give to incoming freshmen?

Don’t take all your gen ed classes right away, save one or two for your junior and senior year to help alleviate your course loads. Also, UIC has endless, various resources for students. Get the most out of your tuition and use them! (i.e. Wellness Center’s monthly Food Pantry, Help from the Counseling Center, Academic Advising, Career Advising, etc.)

What’s your favorite thing about the holidays?

I love gift giving during the holidays! It is my favorite way to let people know how much I appreciate them. Also, I’ll take any excuse I can to shop, wrap presents, and watch movies so to do all of these over break is thrilling.

Any survival tips for Finals Week?

Dunkin’ Donuts has espresso shots for 49 cents. Purchase with caution. And make sure to check out Doggy Palooza & Flames Finish Strong to make it the the end of the semester with your sanity still with you!

Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.