Campus Profile: Georel Acuna

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Dancer, Spaghetti Lover, and K-Pop Devotee are just a few words to describe this week’s Campus Profile, Georel Acuna!

Basics

Year: Freshmen

Hometown: Chicago, IL

Height: 5’6”

Heritage: Filipino- American

Birthday: July 1, 1997

Spirit Animal: Dog

Major: Undecided for now, but maybe Pre-Med

UIC

HC: Local or Commuter?

GA: Commuter.

HC: Why did you choose UIC?

GA: I was involved in an engineering program UIC had and it made me more familiar with the campus. Plus, my brother goes to UIC too.

HC: What do you like about UIC?

GA: The Rec, because it has a place where I can dance. I also like the diversity on campus.

HC: What are you involved with on campus?

GA: I’m involved with two dance groups: EKC, which stands for Elite Kontent Crew, and Primo Dance Troupe.

HC: What’s your best memory of UIC so far?

GA: That’s really hard to choose… but I would say when I danced at The Veil, which is a student fashion inspired organization that tries to bring lessons and important philanthropy to the UIC Campus. Their theme this year was Disability Awareness, and aside from that I was able to hang out with my dance groups and really see the diversity of the UIC campus through fashion.

HC: Plans after graduation?

GA: Live in the city, maybe grad school.

HC: Any advice to surviving college?

GA: Time management is key, really know how to balance those things.

Random Questions!

HC: Interesting fact about you?

GA: I dance to K-Pop music.

HC: Describe yourself in three words.

GA: Dance, Dedicated, Confident.

HC: Go to song?

GA: Right now it’s I Need You by BTS.

HC: What are your hobbies? 

GA: I dance, play videogames, and I really like to look at shoes. You could say I’m a shoe fanatic.

HC: Pet Peeve?

GA: My dog Tobey when he barks.

HC: What’s on your bucket list?

GA: Be independent, be satisfied with my life when I’m old, and travel. I really would like to travel to Asia, specifically Japan or Korea.

HC: Favorite Quote? 

GA: 1 Corinthians 13: 4-7: ‘Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self- seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.’

Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.