This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Basics

Name: Benny Ekhomu

Year: Senior

Hometown: Irrua in Edo State, Nigeria

Birthday: June 25, 1994

Heritage: Nigerian

Major: Chemical Engineering

Minor: Math

Height: 6’2.5 (6’3 on the basketball court)

Greek Life

HC: Why did you decide to join a Fraternity?

I joined as a learning experience. Having already been a social butterfly with a good base of friends, I wanted to know what a structured organization based on brotherhood and self-improvement would be like.

HC: What do you enjoy most about being a part of Sigma Alpha Mu?

I have found it to be very rewarding and the connections are priceless. The possibilities of building up others and the organization are limitless. I am proud to be a part of Sigma Alpha Mu, calling these fantastic bunch of men my brothers.

HC: What are a couple of your most memorable moments with your brothers?

Engaging in philanthropy work and having a blast at the Relay for Life. It’s best to do work to better people’s lives while having a goofy time. Formal events are always an amazing time each year with the brothers. We are able to recap the year and all the moments we’ve enjoyed together, put the icing on the cake and just dance the night away while forgetting about the tough semester with great, life-long friends.

HC: What are you invovled with outside of Greek Life?

During the week, I mentor an aspiring robotics whiz, Christian, for the Manufacturing Renaissance Program in Chicago, which I would say is definitely one of the most satisfying experiences I’ve ever been involved in. I’m also a fellow with the Urban Planning and Public Policy Fellowship on campus, where I’ve had the pleasure to connect with some of the most driven and passionate people I’ve ever met, who want to make a difference in Chicago.  On Tuesdays and Thursdays I go to my Internship at the Center for Neighborhood Technology in Wicker Park, where I get to dress for success #ImOnANewLevelDays. And I’m in 4 ENGINEERING CLASSES! (now that’s the ZINGER!!!), while involved with NSBE (National Society of Black Engineers) and AIChE (American Institute of Chemical Engineers) 

Fun Facts

Favorite Place to Eat:

On earth, because food is life

Interesting Fact:

I’m very artistic (singing, performing poetry, painting/drawing) even though I’m an Engineering Major. I can also speak in a couple different accents including Nigerian and Russian

Hobbies:

Playing basketball (hence my foot in a cast)

Music:

Jazz, Rock, Classical, Rap, R&B, anything that makes me dance

Fashion Style:

Simplistic with a touch of spice, every once in a while I throw in some Nigerian sauce ‘cause if not I’d be lost haha

Pet Peeves:

When people try to bring down others for an ego boost

Bucket List:

Make a significant mark on future generations and to have grandchildren (babies are great)

Favorite Quote:

The poem Do Not Go Gentle Into That Goodnight

What You Would Like to Change About Yourself:

Being more consistent

Plans after Graduation:

Working in industry, graduate school, enterprenueship, and adventuring the wonderful world we find ourselves in. I’m thinking Spain or Canada would be cool to check out.

Love Life

Interested In: Women

Status: Single

Currently Campus Crushing:

I don’t know. I think my Gender and Women Studies professor creates interesting connections in the world around me because intersectionality of oppresion is a thing, and we have to rage against oppressive systems

Celeb Crush:

Zoe Kravitz… my goodness, Meagan Good is good for the soul, and I’ll just chill at Jennifer Lopez

What do you look for:

Humor, intelligence, and attractiveness

Deal Breakers:

No substance, lack of thoughtfulness

Dream Date:  

A walk on the beach by my apartment with, Pina Coladas in hand. Talking about the intricacies of life, followed by a candle lit dinner florid with the sounds of smooth jazz in the background of the voice of the woman I love. OR Painting with wine.

Sally Ndir is a junior studying Biological Sciences at the University of Illinois at Chicago. She enjoys eating out, shopping in the city, and fashion.
Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.