Campus Profile: Amara Cut

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

HC: Hello Amara, it’s great talking to you today. Could you introduce yourself?  

Amara: Hi, I’m Amara Cut and I am a freshman at University of Illinois at Chicago.

HC: And what are you studying?

Amara: I’m studying Psychology right now.

HC: Do you know what you want to do after college?

Amara: Yeah, I really want to be a child psychologist.

HC: Is that something you have always wanted to do?

Amara: No, I wanted to be an architect when, I think, I was about 12 and then when I started to learn about psychology when I was about 15 I got really into it and wanted to learn more about it and yeah, I’m really passionate about it.

HC: That’s cool, and why did you choose to come to UIC?

Amara: Well first of all I’ve always loved Chicago. I’ve heard a lot of good things about UIC and they also gave me a scholarship and this school back in Omaha (my hometown) wasn’t really that great and so I thought why not go to Chicago for the diversity and have some change in my life.

HC: Yeah, and do you like Chicago still?

Amara: Yep, I do.

HC: Is there anything that you are involved in at UIC outside of the academics? 

Amara: Yeah, I’m currently in a club called AASIA, it stands for Asian American Students in Alliance, it’s basically a club that unites a bunch of Asian Americans as well as non-Asians an we just discuss things that are happening in our lives.

HC: Has it helped you transition at UIC?

Amara: Yeah, it really has helped me transition because I’ve made some friends from there and we do a lot of activities that help us de-stress and it’s really cool.

HC: Do you feel like your culture is really encouraged here at UIC and like you are helped to become in tune with it?

Amara: Yes, definitely. I feel really accepted here and it feels great to be here.

HC: That’s good. What’s one piece of advice that you wish people would have given you before you started here?

Amara: Um, I think people need to really emphasize getting involved, because I know people told me “oh you should join ‘blah-blah-blah’” but everyone was emphasizing that I turn in my homework on time and do all of my work but they didn’t really stress how getting involved can really help you feel like you belong.

HC: And do you feel like the clubs that you are in have really helped you feel like you belong here?

Amara: Yes

HC: Good. Do you think you’re going to stick with UIC?

Amara: Definitely.

HC: And what’s you’re favorite thing about UIC?

Amara: Well first, the diversity, and second, the classes they offer. I really enjoy my classes and overall the environment is just really nice. People are nice here and really accepting of others and I love it.

HC: That’s awesome, and what is one thing about college that is different than you thought it would be?

Amara: That for every hour of time in class, you need to spend an hour studying outside of class. This isn’t true, I just study as much as I need because each class has a different level of difficulty and amount of homework that needs to be done so I just study at my own pace.

HC: I definitely agree. Well thank you Amara, it was great talking to you!

Amara: No problem, thank you.

Ariana Antonelli is an English major at University of Illinois at Chicago who loves baking, cooking, DIY projects, and writing. Ariana has been collecting recipes for two years and she loves to share them with whoever is willing to listen. Ariana loves giving and receiving self-help and girl advice and is excited to make Her Campus her platform for doing so.
UIC Contributor.