Campus Celebrity: Nehemiah Bishop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

This week we got to sit down with UIC senior Nehemiah Bishop, who is an incredible student innovator with truly inspiring aspirations. He graduates after this semester, and we wish him all the best with his future endeavors! Read on to learn about Nehemiah’s experience holding leadership positions on campus, his role in the start-up of an organization called Black Tech Mecca, and his experience working for Google and Blue 1647!

Name: Nehemiah Bishop

Age: 23

Year: Senior

Major: Accounting

HC: What are you involved with on-campus and what are the leadership positions that you hold within those organizations?

I am the Founder and former President of the student organization Collegiate 100.  Collegiate 100 focuses on mentoring the youth, volunteering for our community, and utilizing the 100 Black Men as mentors to guide us on our journey to reach our goals and aspirations.  The past two years I have served as a Vice President and am currently the secretary of the National Association of Black Accountants (NABA). I’m one of the three student that will serve on the Chancellors Committee on the Status of Black.  Also, I’ve served on student conduct board hearings for the UIC Dean of Students.  

HC: How have the organizations you are involved in shaped your college experience? 

The Collegiate 100 by far made my college experience better than any experience I could have predicted.  Not only was I was able to mature into a leader and improve myself personally and professionally, but the founding Collegiate 100 members and myself built an organization that will contribute positively to future UIC students’ experiences on campus.  We built a family environment and will have lifelong friendships past our collegiate years. 

HC: Can you describe the purpose of Black Tech Mecca?

Founded by my good friend Fabian Elliott, The Black Tech Mecca initiative was birthed from the perplexing question of how to make the city of Chicago a beacon in the black, tech, and global communities. Our vision is to transform Chicago into the Global Black Tech Mecca.

HC: Why do you think it’s important to have a organization like Black Tech Mecca in the Chicago community?

While we’re not the first to notice the underserved communities in the tech space, there is currently no other organization or initiative that is similar to the Black Tech Mecca mission.  Chicago is one of the emerging tech markets in the nation, yet has a 25% unemployment rate in the black community.  This ranks highest among the nation’s five most populous cities. The Chicago Black community currently is viewed by world as “Chiraq”.  Along with our partners Blue 1647, Google, IBM, Chicago Public Schools CS4All, Bridging The Gap, and others we will change the narrative to a thriving Black tech community.

HC: What was your position in working with Google?

Currently I am a Team Lead for the Google Community Leaders Program.  The Google CLP uses Google tools and services to help improve small businesses and nonprofits digital literacy.  This year I work specifically with the Blue 1647 ad campaign and co-lead the Start-Up team. 

HC: How have your experiences with Google and Black Tech Mecca influenced your future aspirations?

While I am finishing my degree in Accounting at UIC, the companies have altered my future.  Google was my introduction to the tech industry. It’s been an amazing company to be a part of and solidified my aspirations of wanting to be in the tech industry.  My sole goal in life is to improve the underserved communities by exposing and providing opportunities that didn’t exist, and being a part of BTM from its infancy stages to our current position lets me know I can accomplish that goal. Blue 1647, a tech incubator located in Pilsen, has strongly influenced my aspirations. I’ve been taking software development courses there and learning from the Founder himself how to navigate the industry.  All three organizations have inspired me to launch my own Start-Up in the future.

HC: What do you think the most important part of getting involved on campus is? 

There are unlimited opportunities and resources on college campuses.  Finding ones that fit your morals, values, interests and passions is the most important part of getting involved.  There is a time commitment that come with getting involved and it’s important that you connect with programs or opportunities that will benefit you personally and academically.  

HC: If you could go back in time, what advice would you give yourself as a college freshmen?

If I could give myself advice as a college freshman, I would definitely tell him to listen to Joseph Fields of AAAN. Joseph Fields saw potential in me that I didn’t know existed.  Mistakenly, I ignored him my freshman year at UIC and didn’t connect with him until my sophomore year.  The fact of matter is we all have a Joseph Fields in our life who want to push and motivate us to follow our passions relentlessly.  The question is whether we will listen and begin to believe in ourselves. So to all the freshmen or whoever else is reading this, listen to your mentors, advisors, family, and friends who have your best interests at heart and know that it’s never too early to get involved, innovate, follow your passions, or assist in making the world a better place. 

Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.