This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

At UIC, we’re blessed with a myriad of on-campus cafes that are great to hit up before or between classes when cafeteria food just doesn’t cut it. If you’re mainly on East Campus for the semester, you’re never too far from a hot drink and something good to eat. With such a wide range of options, it can be hard to choose where to go and what to order once you’ve chosen a place, so below are some of the best things that our cafes have to offer.

Morgan Street Station

Location: Behavioral Sciences Building

Beverage: Good Morning Blend

I’m always a big fan of a cheap, standard cup of coffee. Morgan Street’s Good Morning Blend is smooth and flavorful and will definitely not be hard on your wallet. If you need an extra jolt, they also have an extra-caffeinated High Rev blend available.

Food: Breakfast or Snacks on-the-go

As a convenience store, Morgan Street Station has a wide variety of quick eats to choose from, so if you’re looking to grab a Pop Tart before your 8 a.m. lecture, this is the place to go.

Au Bon Pain

Location: Behavioral Sciences Building

Beverage: Hazelnut Coffee

The smell of hazelnut coffee is to die for, and at Au Bon Pain, the taste is heavenly as well. It’s so smooth and the hazelnut taste really comes through. It’s the best thing to grab for an afternoon pick me up.

Food: Bagels

After extensive research and a lot of carb consumption, I’ve come to the conclusion that Au Bon Pain is the best place for a good bagel. They have a variety of flavors as well as a nice selection of cream cheese, and they’re the perfect balance of density and flavor. My personal favorite is the jalapeno cheddar with veggie cream cheese, but no matter what you choose, you really can’t go wrong.

Café Descartes

Location: Student Center East

Beverage: Hot Tea

Café Descartes brews Tazo teas, so you’ll be sure to get a lot of flavor for your buck. Hot tea is also a great morning choice of beverage if you’re not a coffee person, and it tends to be less expensive than coffee drinks and has tons of health benefits.

Food: Muffins

If there’s a breakfast food that I take more seriously than bagels, it’s muffins. I can 100% assure you that you will not find a better muffin on East Campus anywhere but Café Descartes. I highly recommend the mixed berry, because it’s not too sweet to feel like a dessert but not too bland to feel like dry toast. Trust me, it’s delicious.

Dunkin’ Donuts

Location: Student Center East

Beverage: Original Blend

If you’re looking for a cup of coffee fast and you’re not dropping by BSB, go for Dunkin’. Although the lines may seem a little intimidating, the service is impeccable and you’ll get your order more quickly than you’d think. For a pretty basic cup of joe, Dunkin’ does a good job fast, so you won’t be disappointed. If you’re looking for a little more of a kick, go for their more bold and flavorful dark roast.

Food: Munchkins

If you’ve never had Dunkin’ Munchkins, please remedy that situation. They are delicious little morsels of delight, and I am convinced that they may actually be the world’s greatest snack dessert. You can get them in a bunch of different flavors and quantities, so you get the added bonus of being the favorite among your friends if you pick up enough for everyone.

Port Center Café

Location: University Hall

Beverage: Hot Chocolate

If you’re not a coffee or a tea person but you still need a treat before you have to meet with your professor, you can’t beat Port Center’s hot cocoa. According to my roommate who drinks a lot more of it than I do, it has a greater complexity of flavor than your average powdered variety. Plus, it’s perfect for keeping cozy between classes this winter.

Food: Seasonal Specialties

Port Center is a great place to go if you like to try something different. As far as baked goods go, they’re mainly in the pastry business, and I’d recommend getting whatever they have that’s new or a seasonal special. Their staff is great at knowing what’s good, too, so don’t be afraid to ask. My best experience so far was a pumpkin spice cream cheese muffin that the barista suggested warming up for me. Overall, Port Center serves up their snacks with great service, and that truly can’t be beat. 

Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so. 
Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.