This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.
Being almost a quarter of the way into the Fall semester, homework has definitely begun to pile up and students are settling into their respective study routines. We thought we’d help make those flash cards easier to write and math problems easier to finish by suggesting some movies on Netflix that would make perfect study breaks. After all, it has been shown that studying is most effective when you take a break every fifteen minutes (your brain is better able to concentrate and less likely to become exhausted)! So grab your study materials and use these awesome movies to help balance all of that calculus you’re trying to cram into your brain.
1. Clueless – “Ugh, as if!” Every girl should be familiar with this quote said by Alicia Silverstone playing Cher. A hilarious flashback to our younger years, Clueless will provide you with many laughs (most of them caused by the outfits). Cher may be rich and spoiled, but you can’t help but love her as she wades through the teenage dramas supplied by new friendship and finding love. Although we’ve probably seen it about 40 times, it’s always worth watching again.

2. 50 First Dates – Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore’s chemistry in this movie make us laugh and tug at our heartstrings. Berrymore’s character, Lucy, has short term memory loss so Sandler’s character must find a way to keep their relationship afloat even though she never remembers him the next day. The beautiful Hawaiian location makes the perfect setting for such an endearing love story.

3. 13 Going On 30 – Jennifer Garner perfectly portrays 13 year-old Jenna Rink as she magically transforms from age 13 to 30 overnight. Discovering that she is the beautiful, successful magazine editor that she always dreamed of being, Jenna also realizes some of the bad things her 30 year-old self has done to get there. Be prepared to laugh and re-connect with your early teenage years in the best way possible.

4. Saturday Night Fever – Get ready to dance. The soundtrack alone will make you love this movie following disco star Tony Manero, famously played by John Travolta, as he takes you to the 70s. Tony dances his way up the disco ladder and has to figure out what he really wants out of life, as well as who his heart loves. Dealing with tension in his family, his job, and his neighborhood, Tony uses dancing to feel free and forget his troubles. Travolta’s smooth moves and expert Brooklyn accent are well worth the watch.

5. Mona Lisa Smile – Set in the 1950s, Julia Roberts portrays new professor Katherine Anne Watson at Wellesley College, set on making a difference on the young women there. However, Ms. Watson soon discovers that her pupils are focused more on marriage than becoming scholars. So, Ms. Watson struggles to inspire and push the women towards greatness while fighting against society’s own push to make young women into the perfect housewife. With a star-studded cast including Kirsten Dunst, Julia Stiles, and Maggie Gyllenhall, this movie will help you not only appreciate education, but the teachers who strive to inspire their students.

Any of these ‘Watch Instantly’ Netflix movies would be a good choice to watch in-between study breaks. We hope to have given you a good selection to keep your brain healthy, happy, and less exhausted. Remember, don’t burn yourself out too soon in the semester. Breaks are good for you and these movies are classic!
Campus: University of Illinois at Chicago Major: English with a concentration in Media, Rhetorical and Cultural Studies Minor: Psychology, Sociology Melissa is born and raised in Chicago. She started out at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign before coming to UIC.
Campus: University of Illinois at Chicago Major: English with a concentration in Media, Rhetorical and Cultural Studies Minor: Germanic Studies Status: Senior Jennifer is a born and raised Chicago girl passionate about her studies. She loves to help people all that she can and contribute to the betterment of others. Used to being on the go, Jennifer is enthusiastic about obtaining her degree and learning many different things along the way. She is interested in music, movies, reading, volunteering, and is a major Blackhawks fan. Her dream is obtain her degree and work with writing in a fashion that will reach out to people.
UIC Contributor.