Bing, The New Social and Search Engine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

As most of you already know, Facebook has made some pretty incredible updates with its new timeline; it’s ability to include apps that enable your friends to know what music you’re listening to, and what videos you’re watching make it inevitably easier to post and share with friends and others. And now Bing, the super search engine, is no different! Now you’ll be able to search what you are interested in with the opinions and suggestions of enthusiasts, experts, and the people you trust the most- friends!

With a new sidebar, you can see which Facebook friends have searched for content relevant to your search, including reviews they have posted, “likes” they have given, and even information that has been recently posted. This new concept of searching is making it easier for one to interact with people on the web that understand the subject, but with the opinions of those who matter most to you. Bing also connects you with relevant information from experts across Twitter, giving you another perspective to consider. The integration of search and social bring you- undoubtedly- the most innovative ways of sharing.

To make it even simpler for you to search and discover, Bing is also introducing snapshot. Consider it the North Star to your search engine. Snapshot allows you to get more done with just one click. For instance, if you’re planning to dine out on Taylor Street, you can search the type of restaurant you’re interested in. Say you want a cool, new, top-rated restaurant with incredible Chicagoan reviews? Bing! Urban Union’s information will come up including a map, reviews, and OpenTable (the reservation-making mastermind) that will allow you to make 7:30pm reservations with just a click of a button. Searching with the opinion of friends in mind doesn’t have to mean sending out numerous texts and phone calls to gather useful information. With Bing it means looking at your activity feed and seeing the input of those Tweeting, friends that check in via Facebook, and those friends who know absolutely everything because of Quora.

Ceida is a third-year student at the University of Illinois at Chicago, studying graphic design with an interest in editorial. She has interned for a fashion photographer, Hesita&Bear (a luxury homeware company) and plans to continue her trek in the visual communications industry. Ceida loves exploring the Windy City, and more importantly: she enjoys showing it off. Her pass times include drinking coffee, thrifting, and listening to old-school Jazz, and photography! She is also a proud member of Phi Sigma Sigma National Sorority.