This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

The Weeknd recently released his new album After Hours, and he has been on top of the charts since its release. The album has The Weeknd’s signature R&B sound but also features an 80s sound that had not really been present in his music before. Here, we’ll take a look at the best songs on the album. 

“Scared to Live”

The third song on the album, “Scared to Live,” is a song that reflects on a relationship that failed and has left The Weeknd feeling regretful. In this song, The Weeknd takes responsibility for the damage he did to his past lover and encourages his ex lover to love again. The sadness and regret can be heard through Abel’s vocal riffs and his mature lyrics. The chorus: “So don’t be scared to live again/ Be scared to live again/ I said don’t be scared to live again/ Be scared to live again,” is sung emotionally and sincerely by The Weeknd as he belts the lyrics. As a slow song, “Scared to Live” puts listeners in the heartbreak headspace and sets up the mood for the rest of the album.

“Escape From LA”

“Escape From LA” is super interesting in terms of its production. It starts off slow but then it becomes more upbeat and it keeps going through base changes as well. The lyrics of this song are also interesting as The Weeknd sings about wanting to leave LA since the lifestyle is too much for him and there are too many memories of his ex lover. It is definitely one of the darker and more dazed-sounding songs from After Hours. The Weekend’s use of siren-like sounds also gives it that feeling of being disoriented and in trouble. 

“Blinding Lights”

The Weeknd brings back the 80s and disco with the groovy and fast-paced “Blinding Lights.” The song starts with a combination of ominous sounds and sounds like it is foreshadowing an action-pact scene in a movie. It then goes on to incorporate the classic instrument of the 80s, the synth. It is a song that rises and doesn’t stop, which makes it one of the best songs on the album .

“In Your Eyes”

“In Your Eyes” is another fast, groovy, and synth-pact song that puts listeners in a good mood. It also features an amazing sax outro that makes the song different from the rest. Overall, it’s a fun song to dance to or to listen to in the car. 

“After Hours” 

The Weeknd practically sings this entire song in a falsetto and that’s one of the reasons why it’s one of the best songs on the album. The production of this song is also great since there’s a lot of echoing, there’s a synth, and it switches in and out of a fast and slow beat. It also has a great base and sounds like it belongs in a movie’s soundtrack! In fact, the entire album sounds like it’s a soundtrack to a film and therefore it makes it easy to daydream while listening to all these songs. 

Amy Hernandez is a senior at UIC pursuing a degree in English with a concentration in professional writing and a minor in Communication 
UIC Contributor.