sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Best Halloween Costumes Inspired by 2019 Pop Culture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

2019 has been full of pop culture phenomenons. From Tik Tok to Area 51 raids, there are many trends that commemorate this year. What better way to honor your favorite 2019 moments through your Halloween costume! Here are nine costumes that scream 2019!

VSCO Girl 

Throw on an oversized tee and some short shorts. Remember, you want to make it look like you’re not wearing any shorts. Complete the look with a scrunchie, a hydroflask, and a fjallraven Kanken! Congrats, now you’re a VSCO girl!

Area 51 Alien 

Millions were excited about finding an alien of their own during the Area 51 raid, so why not dress as an alien this Halloween! 

“Stranger Things”

The much anticipated season 3 of “Stranger Things” did not disappoint. In fact, I spent my entire 4th of July binge-watching it. This Halloween, dress as one of your favorite characters from the show such as Eleven! Or, show some appreciation for this seasons newcomers like Robin Buckley, played by Maya Hawke! To perfect your “Stranger Things” costume, channel the ’80s! This means pastels and bold patterns. Oh, and don’t forget your scrunchie and lots of hairspray.

“Game of Thrones”

I will admit, I may be one of the few people to have never watched an episode of “Game of Thrones,” but I can definitely recognize when someone is dressed up as a character from the show. In my eyes, your dress and hair will truly complete this look. For example, if you’re dressing up as Daenerys Targaryen, you can repurpose an old prom dress or maxi dress. For the hair, you can buy a blonde wig and braid it. 

Forky from “Toy Story 4”

It’s hard to ignore “Toy Story’s” adult audience so why not dress up as one of the franchise’s newest characters, Forky! Pair white pants with a white top and a red shrug or cardigan. Then, complete the look with some face paint or a fork mask! This one is definitely a bit more on the wild side but it is sure to be an attention grabber.

Ashley O

If you dressed up as Hannah Montana when you were 10, you can continue to honor Miley Cyrus by dressing up as her newest alter-ego, Ashley O! Simply find a Lola Luftnagle style wig, some short shorts and a crop top and you’re ready to go!

“Old Town Road”

This costume is up to interpretation. While you can dress up as a horse, you can also dress up as a cowboy. Find your favorite cowboy hat, a pair of cowboy boots, some Wrangler jeans, and a Western shirt. To be more authentic, search for Western shirts with fringe and rhinestones!

“The Masked Singer” Costume

For those with big imaginations, a costume inspired by the show “The Masked Singer” might be perfect! This is another costume that is up to interpretation as you can honestly dress as whatever you want. A must have for this costume is a mask of some sort. One idea would be to buy a horse mask and pairing it with an extravagent suit or an old prom dress. After all, the point of this costume is to mask your face so that no one recognizes you. 

Kylie Jenner Rise and Shine 

I think we’ve all heard Kylie Jenner sing “Rise and Shine” to her baby daughter. So, why not go as the Rise and Shine Kylie Jenner! This costume is as simple as can be and it simply requires incorporating a sun into your costume. You can iron on an image of Kylie Jenner as the sun onto a shirt or hoodie or, you can wear a sun shaped crown around your head! Whatever you chose to wear, remember to say “Rise and Shine,” instead of “Trick-or-Treat.”

This year has been full of memorable pop culture moments so why not have your Halloween costume commemorate one of them!

Aggie is an English major with a concentration in professional writing at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
UIC Contributor.