Bee-pocalypse: Save Our Bees!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Although the dramatic decline of our honeybees in the United States is not new, it is still an ongoing problem that can have drastic effects on us today and in the future. 

What’s the problem?

According to Greenpeace, as pollinators, bees are responsible for about 70 out of the top 100 human food crops, and these food crops supply 90% of the nutrition of the world. Crops like onions, avocados, and almonds are all dependent on these little guys, and rake in profit as well, with a value of $3 billion alone in California for just almonds. The problem? Bees are dying at an astronomical rate, with perpetrators such as parasites, pesticides, and habitat destruction. Parasites such as varroa mites infest bee colonies and decimate their population by latching themselves onto the bees and sucking their blood, killing them in the process. The pesticides we spray on our crops have harmful effects on bees as well, with some leading to bee deaths and a disorder among bee colonies called Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD). With global warming, harsh winters, and the lack of bee-friendly plants, bees are seeing a decline in places where they can get their nutrients, as well as pollen so they can do their job. 

What has been done?

Many countries, companies, and organizations have come forward to address this issue. Examples like Burt’s Bees, an American personal care company most noted for their honey-infused products, created the Burt’s Bees Greater Good Foundation, which supports sustainable beekeeping. BeesFree, Inc., a company that has locations in Italy, the U.S., and Argentina, work to improve the health of bees. Recently, General Mills Canada under the Honey Nut Cheerios brand has launched the #BringBackTheBees campaign, which seeks to raise awareness of the declining bee population.

What can we do?

Bees play an important role in sustaining life on Earth, so without a doubt we should protect them. Simple things like planting bee-friendly plants, such as mint, lavender, and daisies, to even becoming a beekeeper yourself can go a long way. In addition, joining organizations that advocate for the ban of pesticides on crops to even just sharing this article to raise awareness of the declining population of bees can do more help than you think. Do your part by watching the #BringBackTheBees commercial campaign by Honey Nut Cheerios: 

Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.