This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

On March 9, 2018, Sir Robert Bryson Hall II, better known from his stage name “Logic” released his mixtape Bobby Tarantino II, a sequel from his mixtape Bobby Tarantino. Although after he released his third album Everybody, which he claimed would be his last, he surprised his fans with the drop of his mixtape.

Growing up was rough for this young rapper. His brothers and father were involved with drugs, his parents were drug addicts and alcoholics, and his sisters were victims of violence. In many of his songs, Logic explains the addictions he had growing up and how music was a kind of relief for him. He left home at the age of 17 and began working to provide for himself.

Logic originally took on the name “Psychological” because he wanted his music to be something that would challenge the mind of his listeners, and open their minds to the world, but later shortened it to “Logic.” Throughout his earlier life, Logic produced and released many mixtapes until he signed with Def Jam Records. His first album Under Pressure was released on October 21, 2014, with the singles “Under Pressure” and “Buried Alive.” His second, The Incredible True Story, came out almost a year later in November, which featured “Young Jesus,” “Fade Away,” and “Like Woah.”

I had always taken an extreme interest in Logic because of how personal he got in his songs. It’s like he is telling you an autobiography through his words, rhymes, and beats. In Summer 2016, he released Bobby Tarantino, which got the attention of a lot more people. It wasn’t until after he released his latest album, Everybody, that I heard Logic on the radio. It made me think he had really made it, and now so many people can enjoy his music and relate to him. Logic has proven himself many times to the people who have doubted him. If you haven’t checked him out, here are links to his albums below.

Under Pressure

The Incredible True Story

Bobby Tarantino

Everybody

Bobby Tarantino II

Hello, my name is Alex Burrell. I am a first year at the University of Illinois at Chicago as an English major with a concentration in Media, Rhetorical, and Cultural Studies, as well as a Spanish minor. Writing has always been a passion of mine, and I am grateful to have the opportunity to share my works with you. If you have any questions or concerns, you can contact me on Twitter @alexburrell9!
UIC Contributor.