Amelia Kramer-Happy Friends Hrowing The Peace Sign And Eating Ice Cream
Amelia Kramer / Her Campus

Advice From a Senior in College to Incoming Freshmen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

The month before I started college in the fall of 2016, I spent every day reading articles that give advice to incoming freshman. I scavenged through blog posts written by parents whose kids were going to school and digested university “to-do” lists. Nearly ever article mentioned that your college years will fly by. I didn’t believe this until the other day I realized, I graduate in less than 9 months! So, if you’re a freshman freaking out about college like I was, here’s some advice that has really helped me the past few years. 

three women sitting on a couch with laptops
Photo by wocintechchat.com from Unsplash
1. Get involved- Everyone says this but it’s true! Getting involved is a great way to meet new friends and helps you get a better feel for campus.

2. Get to know your professors- Make sure to go to your professor’s office hours, you never know, they can become a mentor or even a confidant for you over the next few years.

3. Take advantage of freebies/discounts- Plenty of places offer discounts to college students like Best Buy, Madewell, and Spotify!

Anna Schultz-Cozy Girl Using Laptop
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
4. Check for scholarships- When I started college, I stopped looking for scholarships because I didn’t think I’d find any to qualify for. That was so wrong though. I’ve learned that there are lots of scholarships that receive few applications so make sure you keep an eye out for any opportunity that can help you pay for school.

5. Take a class out of your comfort zone- I came into college with the intention of being a business major but, after taking an English class, I changed my major to English!

So, if you are a freshman, make sure you enjoy these next few years, even if sometimes you feel like your life is falling apart. 

Aggie is an English major with a concentration in professional writing at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
UIC Contributor.