The Act of Moving “with” Rather Than “against”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

If you’re enrolled in university this semester, you’re probably already feeling the pressure as much as I am! Even though we just started, and the sky still holds remnants of summer, it’s tough letting go and moving on to something new.

As the world around us changes, the healthiest thing we can do for her and ourselves is to flow with it. And what better way to increase your oneness with everything than spending some time on the inner Y-O-U? It might be the perfect thing to show yourself some TLC and help you as we move into autumn.

1. Fall Meditation: Go outside and lie down flat on your back. Let your breath become deep and even. Spread your limbs like a starfish to claim the space that you’re in. Relax. Envision the colors bright red and dark orange. Let the colors radiate inside of you. Open your eyes when ready.

2. See ya next time: This summer could have been fantastic for you. Or maybe it was… not so great. In either case, you want to say goodbye to the season in a way that shows your appreciation and growth. What have you learned? How are you closer to becoming the person that your soul needs you to be? What haven’t you got done that’s still on your manifestation list? Dance it out, journal it, or create a short film! Anything you need to fully let go a prepare yourself for the transition.

3. Own it: Manifestation is the act of making your dreams come true. It’s important for growth, self-fulfillment, and overall well-being. Focus on what your heart’s been desiring and small ways that you can begin manifesting that. A great way to do this is by creating a vision board of images and quotes that inspire you. Not so into collage? Try a simple journal entry. Sleep with it by your bed or underneath your pillow and read your list before you leave home every morning.

Kristen Simmons is a Mississippi based writer who attends the University of Illinois at Chicago. She is currently studying English Professional Writing and plans on going into the world of journalism and editing. When she's not writing, she's oil painting, connecting with friends, and coming up with new creative projects.
Hello, everyone, my name is Shirley Toy. I am a graduate of the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) with a Bachelor's in English, concentrating in Professional Writing and double minors in Spanish and Communication. I am an alum of Her Campus at UIC, where I served as a writer, Co-Campus Correspondent, and Editor-in-Chief. At the National level, I served as a Chapter Advisor for the 2017-2018 academic year. These opportunities are perfect because I get to merge my passions for writing, leadership, and technology together. Follow & Tweet me on Twitter @_shirleyst!