This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

As a third-year commuter, I am still going strong, and here are some of the strategies that I have found to be helpful: 

Do these before bed

1. Check the weather

…and pick out an outfit and have it at your bed side. Seriously, collegiettes, this strategy has saved me so much time, and I no longer have to stress about what to wear in the morning!

2. Pack your schoolbag the night before

Collegiettes, how many of you are guilty of leaving your laptop or a textbook at home, but you don’t realize it until you are halfway or already at school? Now, all you have to do is grab and go.

Use your alarms correctly

3. Place your phone on the other side of your room

This can ensure that you get up and be productive! Collegiettes, I know many of you – myself included are victims of snoozing your alarms.

4. Change up the alarm sound

For example, I like to wake up to water rushing up the shore.

5. Make sure you have enough time

Depending on how far your commute is, it is always best to set your alarms about one to two hours prior to the start of your first class.

Getting ready in the morning

6. Follow your normal routine

Brush your teeth, shower, and put on the outfit you picked out from last night.

7. Make an easy breakfast

From milk and cereal to a piece of toast. If you are running short on time, grab something quick (i.e. granola bar or fruit), and head out the door. 

Using transportation and navigation 

8. If you take public transportation…

I suggest downloading the Transit app, and it is free in the App Store and Google Play. Open up the Transit app, and check the arrival times for the bus or train. Buses and trains typically run on a consistent schedule, so remember this arrival time for tomorrow.​

If you take public transportation, but you do not have a smartphone, don’t worry! You can text the stop code to CTA or Pace, and they will send you a list of arrival times. This is completely free, you already have a texting plan, so why not take advantage of it?

9. If you drive to school…

I suggest downloading the Waze app. It tells you if there is heavy traffic, construction going on, an accident ahead, etc. Collegiettes, I can’t express how helpful this app has been; trust me, you need this in your life!

Enjoy your day at school!

Hello, everyone, my name is Shirley Toy. I am a graduate of the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) with a Bachelor's in English, concentrating in Professional Writing and double minors in Spanish and Communication. I am an alum of Her Campus at UIC, where I served as a writer, Co-Campus Correspondent, and Editor-in-Chief. At the National level, I served as a Chapter Advisor for the 2017-2018 academic year. These opportunities are perfect because I get to merge my passions for writing, leadership, and technology together. Follow & Tweet me on Twitter @_shirleyst!
UIC Contributor.