This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

With the first day of spring approaching right around the corner, we’ve all got some tidying up to do so let’s just admit it: Who here has been personally victimized by the social, emotional, and personal baggage of this long, twisted winter? Well if your hand is raised, it’s okay—you’re not alone. Winter has its pros, but its cons, girl…they have the ability to really get the best of you. I get it, I feel it too! Also, it doesn’t help that winter can literally make you feel as though this baggage is frozen to the back of your mind because turns out, there were just some things that the “New-Year-Fixes-All” ideology just couldn’t remedy. However, with warmer weather and brighter days just at arm’s reach, that routinely time of year to melt and begin again with a fresh slate is a reminder that depletion of those issues is very real, and very much possible. See below just why these bad habits are worth nipping-in-the-bud:

1. Stress

We’re always going to feel it. It’s inevitable as humans, and truth is if you’re stressed, it’s probably for a good reason. So, swallow that chill pill and reward yourself for the hard work you’ve put in. Spare yourself some energy for the next batch of hard and ultimately rewarding work that is yet to come!

2. Junk food galore

If you can taste the resentment of those hot chips and sugary iced coffees before you even rip open the packaging, then you know it’s time to cut that junk out of your diet. Eating and living right to attain the beach bod of your dreams is just one less handful away.

3. Skipping meals

So in combination, stress and junk food are not excuses for you to deprive your body of the nutrients that you need to keep pushing you through the day, let alone through the entire spring season. Make time to prep meals that are easy to throw on the stove or quickly in the microwave for that busy bee of a self that you are for every breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Your body will thank you in the long-run.

4. Impulse buying

Save your money by asking yourself if you really need something or just really want something. Treat yourself here and there, but don’t get carried away. (Booboo, you know that you already have a perfectly good pair of shades, and a shirt too similar to the one you’re looking at.)

5. All-nighters

With Day Lights Saving Time already in full-swing, the toll of feeling that one less hour of sleep can really make all the difference in your readiness for conquering tomorrow. Avoid sleepless nights by setting a bed time alarm(s) on your phone to train your mind and body into this replenishing system.

6. Ditching the gym

No more hiding behind the excuse of “staying inside because it’s too cold to leave the house.” Warm weather is on the horizon and pushing yourself to be physically active outside your home will become easier once you actually put in the effort to start!

7. Flaking (and getting flaked) on friends

Take note of the times you are perpetuating the flaking, or falling victim to the person being flaked on. If you don’t have the time commitment or interest to uphold the responsibilities and duties of friendships or relationships that don’t mean squat to you (or vice versa by other people), then make a move and save yourself the meaningless time and effort. Make the most out this privileged life by actually doing what you want with people you actually want to do them with.

8. Getting your hopes up

Finally, the idea here is to set yourself up for success. It’s good to have big dreams and goals, but it’s even more rewarding when you can actually visualize a path to achieve them. Avoid plateauing by being realistic with what you want to accomplish, but I dare you to challenge yourself a little more than you normally would. You’ll eventually see great and greater results. 

Monica is a lifestyle, beauty, and travel blogger for Her Campus at the University of Illinois at Chicago. She is a full-time, Dean's List student studying elementary education with a concentration in English. Before joining the editorial team, she dedicated countless hours of volunteer work as the Community Service Chair for Chi Sigma Omega sorority. When she graduates, she plans to teach and volunteer in underprivileged communities overseas. Her hobbies include running, binge-watching Friends, baking, and traveling.
UIC Contributor.