8 Artists to Check Out Before Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

I’m a music fanatic. I love almost every genre, but listening to the same songs over and over again every day becomes a bore. So, I turned off my radio completely, plugged in my phone, turned on Pandora, and cruised to whatever came up. And I loved it. Every song was similar to the last, but so different! It was like a new thrill every time some new song I had no idea how to sing along to came on! 

I found solace in discovering new music that I thought, “Why not share my finds with others?”

So without further ado, I present a few artists/bands I feel you should be listening to if you want a bit of an adventure for your ears before finals week kicks in completely. 

1. Young Ejecta

If you know Neon Indian and like them, then you’ll definitely like Young Ejecta. Leanne Macomber from Neon Indian and producer Joel Ford from Ford&Lopatin joined together to form a synthpop duo like no other. 

Recommendations: “It’s Only Love”, “Silver”, “Eleanor Lye”

2. Tei Shi

Argentine singer Valerie Teicher takes stage as Tei Shi, incorporating genres like Indie pop, Rhythm and blues, Grebo, and Shoegazing.  

Recommendations: “Bassically”, “Nevermind the End”, “See Me” 

3. Melanie Martinez

Melanie Adele Martinez was a member of The Voice’s  Team Adam on season 3. If any of you have seen American Horror Story , then you definitely have heard of this wonderful lady before. Her song “Carrousel” was used as the main theme for AHS: Freakshow. Melanie Martinez’s genres range from electropop to alternative pop.

Recommendations: “Carrousel”, “Soap”, “Mrs. Potato Head” 

4. Grimes

Grimes (a.k.a Claire Elise Boucher) is a Canadian singer/songwriter, video director, and record producer with a knack to get a little strange with her videos. Her music is never the same and will always shift, making her the best if you aren’t in the mood to listen to the same genres over and over. Grimes’ genres are synthpop, art pop, experimental, dream pop, and electronic.

Recommendations: “Genesis”, “Vanessa”, “Go”

5. The Knife 

Though they aren’t active now, The Knife is still a Swedish band you should definitely check out. Their poppy and edgy music style really puts you in the mood to dance and get up early on those not-so-pretty days. Like Grimes and Young Ejecta, they create with synthpop, experimental, and electronic genres. 

Recommendations: “Like a Pen”, “Heartbeats”, “Marble House” 

6. The Bird and the Bee

Hailing from Los Angeles, California, our indie pop duo The Bird and The Bee incorporate jazzy rhythms into their indie pop, synthpop, and dream pop genres. If you’re a fan of the 60’s and their chill and groovy styles then definitely check these guys out. Their music is very fun and upbeat for any occasion.

Recommendations: “Again and Again and Again and Again”, “Love Letter tot Japan”, “Polite Dance Song” 

7. Little Boots

English songwriter and DJ Little Boots (a.k.a Victoria Christina Hesketh) incorporates electropop, synthpop, and dance-pop. I’ve only just found out about Little Boots, but I can say that her upbeat DJ-ing sure brings me back to artists like Kylie Minogue. And I love it! 

Recommendations: “We Know How to Get Things Done”, “No Pressure”, “Better in the Morning” 

8. Royksopp (personal favorite)

Let’s leave the U.S one more time and meet one of my favorite bands. Royksopp is a Norwegian music duo who incorporated other great artists like Robyn, Jonna Lee, Anneli Drecker, and Bjorn Torske into their works. Like Grimes, their music styles varied; identifying genres like electronic, trip hop, ambient, downtempo, chill-out, house, synthpop, and eurodance. Royksopp has been at it since ’98, so they have much to offer. Check them out!

Recommendations: “Girl and The Robot”, “Monument”, “What Else is There”, “Here she Comes Again” 

Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.