7 Things The Only Child Wants You To Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

1. We are not spoiled!

Yes we do get things that we want, but … not all the time, especially if you have very strict parents.

2. We often have a ton of friends or cousins to make up for the lack of not having sibling.

Those friends (or cousins) become like siblings.

3. We are not “all” selfish!

In fact, some of us like to share, sharing is caring! 

4. We are not lonely.

Sometimes we enjoy having our alone time, and if we get bored, we have our cousins or friends to rely on.

5. We sometimes wish our parents had more children.

Then there are times we are grateful they didn’t, especially when you hear how stressed and annoyed your friends get whenever they talk about their siblings.

6. We will always be the center of our parent’s attention.

This can be good because you never have to share your parents with a sibling, or bad, especially if your parents are way over protective.

7. We are not as lucky as some people think we are. 

Raven is sophomore at the University of Illinois at Chicago. She majoring in UIC college of education as an early childhood educator. She dreams of one day teaching in both private and public schools. She has a passion for young people and most importantly patience. During Raven's free time from class she likes to shop, catch up on missed shows and more SHOPPING. Raven is sometimes shy but love meeting new people - ironic!  
Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.