jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Things I Wish I Knew Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

1.You have to study. Like Really Study

When I was a freshman, I was under the false impression that I could skate through college by pulling a consistent string of all-nighters. Once I went through my first round of midterms, I quickly realized that I have to change my study habits immediately. For the current and future freshman out there: Don’t Procrastinate! Make study groups and ask for help; don’t suffer in silence. I would recommend introducing yourself to each and every one of your professors from the very first day of class. Trust me, it’ll pay off in the long run when you need those recommendation letters. Most instructors want to see their students succeed and are happy to help you in any way they can. Nonetheless, you still have to meet them in the middle—meaning any professor, study group, or tutor—can’t do all the work for you. It is crucial that you pull your own weight!  

2. Be Selfish

This is a lesson I’ve learned the hard way. As a freshman, you are going to be bombarded with an incessant amount of distractions. Some of those distractions are inevitable: be it friends, family, work, or a significant other; these are integral entities of everyday life. The sooner you learn how to balance your personal life with your academic obligations the better. Sixteen weeks might seem like more than enough time to keep up with your coursework, but each semester will go by fast. That means you probably shouldn’t go to a party every weekend or have daily lunch and dinner dates with loved ones. It’s okay to be selfish with your time in order for you to be successful with your academics. As long as you effectively communicate with your loved ones, I’m sure they will understand why you are unavailable from time to time.  

3. Get Involved

I’m going to be honest, I only went to each Involvement Fair for the free nachos, funnel cakes, popcorn, and flavored shaved ice. Don’t make the same mistake! Research the on-campus organizations that you might be interested in beforehand. If you don’t see anything you like, be proactive, and start your own organization!

4. Adulting is really hard

When you’re in college no one reminds you about anything. . . You are in charge of everything-planning class schedules, work schedules, advising appointments, work-out sessions-and the list goes on. Life comes at you, fast, when you start college. I would recommend using a daily planner to organize your life; so you won’t feel so overwhelmed by everything.

5. Self Discipline is everything

Don’t be a slacker: Go to class! Attend each lecture and discussion every day, unless there is an emergency. Try to fashion a daily schedule that works for you. If you’re not a morning person: STAY AWAY FROM THOSE AWFUL 8 AM LECTURES! Once you figure out what a realistic routine is for you, college gets a whole lot easier.

6. Money doesn’t grow on Trees

SAVE. YOUR. MONEY.

There is nothing wrong with brown bagging breakfast, lunch, and dinner once you’re in college. Get a Debit Card, keep track of your expenses, and stick to a reasonable budget that works for you. If you like to spend extravagantly: GET A JOB!       

7. Breathe. . .

You’re going to make a lot of mistakes, and that’s okay just remember to take each mistake as a lesson. Even though college is stressful at times, remember to take a step back, and breathe. I would compare college to a marathon, run it at your own pace. Take in all the advice you can, but at the end of the day, do what works for you!

UIC Contributor.