6 Chicago Events for Summer 2013!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

There’s nothing like those city lights and summer nights. Summer time Chi is almost here! Get ready for those long, cool summer days and late nights. Say goodbye to hoodies and jeans and hello to those cute summer dresses and bikinis! With so many outdoor activities going on in Chicago, this summer will definitely be a great one! Chicago is well known for its many great food & music fests. Here are a few other events happening this summer that Chicagoans also look forward to:

Taste of Chicago

Even though it can be a little on the pricy side, the Taste of Chicago is definitely a Chicago favorite.  A great way to hang out with family and friends this summer is by stuffing your face with delicious food from many great local, diverse restaurants the city has to offer. This year the Taste will be held from July 10th to 14th from 11a to 9pm. Besides the yummy food, the Taste also offers musical events and activities for all ages. This summer the band Fun. will perform at the Petrillo Music Shell on July 10th at 5:30pm. Tickets are $25 and lawn seating is free. Other artists performing include Robin Thicke, Estelle, and Neon Trees!

Gay Pride Parade

One of the most anticipated events this summer has to be the Gay Pride Parade! Every year thousands of people head over to the Boystown/Lakeview neighborhood to enjoy this exciting parade. Chicago celebrates Gay pride like no other city! The parade never disappoints and is always something to look forward to. This summer organizers are planning to split the Gay Pride parade and street festival into two separate events in late June. Be on the lookout for updates about the celebration on the news. It is an event you do not want to miss out on!

Air & Water Show

One of the largest, free shows in the U.S. takes place every summer right here in Chicago. Every year, thousands look forward to the highly anticipated Air & Water Show at North Ave. Beach. This summer the event takes place on August 17th and 18th from 10am to 3pm. Enjoy a fun day at the beach while relaxing as you watch pilots perform stunts over the beautiful lake.

Chinatown Summer Fair

The 35th annual Chinatown summer fair takes place on Sunday, July 21. It is jammed pack with Asian cultural entertainment and live music. It will include a taste of Chinatown’s delicious restaurants and unique gift shops. If you haven’t paid a visit to Chicago’s Chinatown, this event is the perfect day to go!

Gold Coast Art Fair

Love inspiring, eclectic artwork? Come out to the 56th annual Gold Coast Art Fair June 29th and 30th in Grant Park’s Butler Field from 10am to 6pm. It is the third oldest and one of the most well attended art festivals in Chicago. The event is free and includes live art demos, speed painting, live music, and fun activities for all age groups. If you appreciate great artwork, the Gold Coast Art Fair is a must this summer!

Jose Cuervo Pro Beach Volleyball Series

It’s almost about that time of year again for beach volleyball! What better way to spend your day than at the beach enjoying some intense beach volleyball action? This series is coming back to Oak Street beach this summer. The competition will take place from July 13th to the 15th.  So if you’re biking or rollerblading alongside the lake, stop by and watch some great beach volleyball!

Nicole is a proud city girl born and raised in beautiful Chicago. She is currently a student at the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Business Marketing major and a part of the Women's Line Up Team at Nike Chicago. She loves everything to do with fitness & health, music, urban life, and sports! In her spare time she loves to run, ride her fixie along the lakefront, do yoga, and volunteer! She is a die hard Chicago Bulls fan with a huge sweet tooth. Nicole's dream is to have a career in marketing with a focus in brand management or advertisement and sales promotion.
Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.