5 Ways To Look Flawless When You Oversleep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

You go to bed the night before, are in a deep sleep and are suddenly woken up by the screaming alarm clock that’s been going off for over an hour! You have to be out the door in ten minutes! Now what?! 

It’s no secret that we’ve all, at some point in our lives, slept through the blaring annoyance that is our alarm clock. Unfortunately, there are consequences to that—we’re late. As women, we always want to look our best, but we’re only human, sometimes we wake up too late to even brush our teeth. This creates an issue, we’re stuck with creating an illusion that we did not wake up ten minutes ago and get rushed out the door. It’s definitely easier than you think! 

1. Dress for Comfort! 

It’s not always easy to wear clothing that is both comfortable and fashionable. The simple solution would be to quickly grab a pair of sweats and an old T-shirt from high school that doubles as a pajama top. But, as adults, we should be more conscious of what we wear. An easy fix is to find a pair of plain black leggings and a tunic, or loose-fitting blouse, slipped over a tank top. It’s not fancy, but it is classy and gives off a message that you spent some time on your outfit for the day. 

(Courtesy of Pixabay)

2. Get Rid of Frizz with Dryer Sheets! 

Hair is one of the most annoying things we all possess. Some days, it’s perfect and every follicle is in place. Other days, we are in a constant struggle to make sure there are no fly-aways, and especially, NO FRIZZ! To accomplish this, poke the bristles of your hair brush through a dryer sheet and brush it over your hair, working from top to bottom. The dryer sheet will soften your hair, while also giving it a nice, clean scent. The end result is soft and shiny hair. 

3. Moisturize! 

You want your skin to look its best, why glob and cake on all the cover-up? Use a moisturizer to give your face and neck a refreshing feeling that equally helps protect your skin from the sun and also minimizes the appearance of your pores. It creates a nice glow and highlights your facial features using natural light, without clogging your pores, and allowing your skin to breathe. 

(Courtesy of Pixabay)

4. Clear Mascara is Your Best Friend! 

With the issue of waking up late, one doesn’t really have time to do their makeup. You can try, but chances are you will be late, unless you are a master makeup artist, in which case, good luck to you. Everyone loves to define their eyes; it’s just as easy without the use of any eyeshadow or colored mascara. Using clear mascara to add volume and length to your eyelashes is a better alternative than to accidentally mess up using black or blue mascara and having it smear all over your face, only to realize that there is no makeup remover. You struggle to scrub it off but are stuck looking like a raccoon at the end of your attempt. Using clear mascara, this problem is nonexistent because even if you do make a mistake, who’s going to know? Another nice trick is to use the mascara to fix your eyebrow hairs so that they stay in place (they can also appear to look thicker…without the use of an eyebrow pen). Your eyes are perfected with minimal time and minimal makeup, and the best part, no mess! 

5. Perfume and Lip Balm—The Unforeseen Pair! 

No look is complete without our personal choice of a signature fragrance, plus, we all just want to smell nice. With the lack of time to be able to shower, what can you do other than cover your entire body with deodorant? First off, don’t do that, it creates a huge mess. Second, the solution is effortless, rub small spots of lip balm (don’t worry if it smells like strawberries or mint or nothing at all, it all works the same) on your inner wrists, neck and anywhere else you’d like your perfume to linger. Spray your fragrance directly on these spots instead of drowning yourself in it. The balm traps the scent and enables it to last longer throughout the busy day. It’s an effortless solution, compared to spraying yourself all over, only to realize the smell has faded the second you step out the door! 

My name is Maggie, and I am currently a junior at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC). My major is English, with a concentration in professional and technical writing. Currently, I am interning at Classic Chicago Magazine, an online magazine located in the city of Chicago, and I am one of their social media correspondents. Being a member of HerCampus UIC is wonderful opportunity and exactly what I need to learn how to achieve my goals while enhancing my writing and technology skills.
UIC Contributor.