This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

The most challenging part of meeting someone is not the possibility of them not liking you, but of you liking them and you not knowing how to break the ice. It is nerve wrecking and scary to not know what to say, combined with the fear of not impressing someone. It sucks when you don’t have the right things to say and then everything falls apart. It is tricky finding the right balance of emotions and working with certain scenarios, which is why we tend to do too much of one thing. For love, which translates to fear, we have for someone we don’t do the right thing because we over analyze, which leads us to do more work than we need to, and then we get frustrated when we don’t even do half as much as we wish we could do. The only way to know if someone is right for you is by testing the waters. You need to break the ice and see where the relationship will go. Over the years, I have gathered my personal ways of breaking the ice so that things can get set on the right path.

Here are 5 ways to break the ice with that special someone:

1. Finding The Right Words To Say

Introducing yourself to someone sounds easy, but it’s not. Whenever you envision yourself doing something you really want to do, you come across the problem of getting ahead of yourself. You think you look and sound awkward, and as a result, though you might not, you will feel extremely uncomfortable. Take a second to think about things.

Image from Pexels: Words

2. Knowing How Much Is Too Much

What we all long for is to know more about the person we are interested in. The whole point of breaking the ice is to get a feel for how much your love interest might feel comfortable with you knowing about them. You need to know what a person typically enjoys. You don’t want to come off as uninterested or too interested.

Image from Pexels: Coffee

3. Knowing What Topic Might Interest Them

To know what might interest someone, you need to sort of analyze them. Everyone judges, and it isn’t always bad to judge. Go off of the person’s vibes, what they wear, what major they are studying, and even where they live; do it for the right reasons, of course.

Image from Pexels: Sports

4. Get A Feel For How Much They Like You/Are Interested In You

Right away, you definitely need to estimate how much a person likes you. This is the most challenging part you will encounter when trying to break the ice. There will be absolutely no point in trying to break the ice with someone who is not interested in you. IT WOULD ALL BE IN VAIN. You need to really check and see if someone is or is not interested. You don’t want to underestimate yourself. You will also come across people who overestimate themselves, and you don’t want to get stuck in their trap; I call it the endless cycle. This trap is when you are constantly wondering “what am I doing wrong?” but it actually is a sign of arrogance to have someone hold off. Don’t let them blame you for it because that will only have you constantly trying to impress them but it’s their problem, not yours.

Image from Pexels: Dating

5. Simply Let Them Know

If you like someone, let them know you do and share your ideas, and don’t hold back because it won’t do you good. Of course, this is when you are sure someone is worth your attention.

Image from Pexels: Communication

You need to know if you have chemistry with someone. It would be disappointing if you spent your time talking to someone who could care less about you. Treat others how you would like to be treated. Nothing worth having comes easily, and this includes not just that “A” on that English paper, but also your relationships.

I am a creative person who enjoys learning about the ways in which art can take different forms. My passions include learning about issues that effect our lives; things ranging from politics, media, culture, music, art, philosophy, technology, or education. I am a Chicago native and an undergraduate student at UIC majoring in English and minoring in Film.