5 Terms and Phrases That Need to Die in 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

“Ratchet”

“That’s so ratchet” or “That’s what ratchet females do” Yeah, this term just needs to disappear…forever. 

“Turn up”

This phrase wasn’t actually so bad at first. Then everyone began to say it, all the time. Especially in unnecessary settings like going to get coffee or working out at the gym. We also can’t forget, “Turn down for what?” Yes, RIP.

“YOLO”

Yes, you only live once. Yes, you obviously love oreos. Yes, you obviously love One-Direction. I actually do love oreos, but One Direction? Not so much. Out with this YOLO nonsense and let’s just stick with hakuna matata because it means no worries and everyone loves The Lion King.

“Long hair don’t care”

Short hair don’t care. Curly hair don’t care. Yes, we get it. You don’t care, but what are you trying to tell us?

“Cool beans”

I’m not even sure how this even started, but hey, cool beans.  

Nicole is a proud city girl born and raised in beautiful Chicago. She is currently a student at the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Business Marketing major and a part of the Women's Line Up Team at Nike Chicago. She loves everything to do with fitness & health, music, urban life, and sports! In her spare time she loves to run, ride her fixie along the lakefront, do yoga, and volunteer! She is a die hard Chicago Bulls fan with a huge sweet tooth. Nicole's dream is to have a career in marketing with a focus in brand management or advertisement and sales promotion.
UIC Contributor.