5 Spring Cleaning Tips: Dorm Room Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Throughout the semester your room can start to seem cluttered and just all around messy. Don’t worry though, you’re just in time for some spring cleaning!

Here are some tips on where to start:

1. The Closet

Closets are easiest places to hide all your unwanted clutter. Start by removing everything from your closet and organizing it by importance or usage first. Donate unwanted, gently used clothes to your local homeless shelter. Switch your wardrobe from winter clothes to spring and get ready for some nicer weather!

2. Under the Bed

For me, this is the one place all my junk goes. Start once again by removing anything and sorting it. Storage containers to match your color scheme in your room are convenient and cute place for hiding clutter, while keeping all your stuff in one place. Don’t forget to vaccuum under your bed, too!

3. The “Junk Drawer”

Admit it, we all have a junk drawer. And yes, everything in that drawer is most likely junk but you just can’t seem to part with it! Get rid of things you haven’t used in over 6 months and keep the things you think you will use again. There’s a difference between “I don’t want to throw this away” and “I need this.” Realize what is essential and what is not.

4. Open the Window

This may seem like an odd and even dumb tip but it could make a huge difference. Leave your window open while you are in class and I guarantee your room will smell and feel so fresh, fresh air is one of the best things you can do for your small, cluttered room. While you’re at it, clean your window with Windex, and I guarantee your room will even feel brighter – I mean, when’s the last time someone cleaned the glass?? Gross!

5. Wash Your Bedding

Buy some new, floral scented laundry detergent and clean your sheets, blankets, comforter, pillows, etc. That first night’s sleep on freshly cleaned, spring-scented bed will be the best sleep you’ve ever had on those small, uncomfortable dorm beds.

Of course we should all be cleaning our dorm rooms regularly, sometimes studying and going out seems like more of a priority. Take the changing season to freshen up your room a bit.

Student at University of Illinois at Chicago
Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.