5 Salient Quotes That Strike an Emotional Chord

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

I’ve always held a deep and besotted affection towards quotes—an exquisite and profound array of alluring words that make one ponder abstract concepts and more importantly, encourage one to feel. So, simply, here are some of my upmost favorite, ones that are relevant to my persona, and ones that I hold very dear and near to my heart:

1. “Mama, I hope you’re proud of me. I took all the awful things they did, and turned them into empathy. Mama, I hope you’re proud of me, I may have let their poison under my skin, but I let it drip out of my fingers as poetry.” -Nikita Gill

2. “He will come with a mouth full of forevers and skin as sweet as spring time. He will kiss the places that hurt and will tell you the scars are beautiful. He will cover every inch of you in words he’s learned and dress you in the colors of every season and he will not be the one. He will feel like a hurricane and you’ll wonder how you will ever recover and rebuild. But you will. You always will. And you’ll realize he is not the one -Tyler Kent White

3. “People who really want to make a difference in the world usually do it, in one way or another. And I’ve noticed something about people who make difference in the world: they hold the unshakable conviction that individuals are extremely important, that every life matters. They get excited over one smile. They are willing to feed one stomach, education one mind, and treat one wound. They aren’t determined to revolutionize the world all at once; they’re satisfied with small changes. Over time, though, the small changes add up. Sometimes they even transform cities and nations, and yes, the world. -Beth Clark

4. “Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and adventure. -Oliver Sacks

5. Welcome to society,  We hope you enjoy your stay, And please feel free to be yourself, As long as it’s in the right way. Make sure you love your body, Not too much or we’ll tear your down, We’ll bully you for smiling, And then wonder why you frown. We’ll tell you that you’re worthless, That you shouldn’t make a sound, And then cry with all the others, As you’re buried in the ground. You can fall in love with anyone, As long as it’s who we choose, And we’ll let you have your opinions, But please shape them to our views. Welcome to society, We promise that we won’t deceive, And one more rule now that you are here, There’s no way that you can leave. -Kim Santiago

On my personal, individualized growth journey toward happiness. Currently studying Applied Psychology and Spanish, pursuing a career in Social Work and Mental Health.  "You presume you are small entity, but within you is enfolded the entire universe" --Imam Ali ****strong opinions, weakly held****  
UIC Contributor.