5 Deadly Truths of Being a Science Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Let’s get straight to it:

1. There is NO such thing as “SYLLABUS WEEK”….ever

The start of the new semester sounds awesome. You get to make new friends, meet up with old ones, etc. Then…you have syllabus week. No responsibilities, right? Nuh, bruh. We science majors get to learn about IUPAC nomenclature of alkanes on the very first day of Organic Chemistry! JOY!

2. You find yourself choking on your breath when you find out the price of your “mandatory” books.

Don’t get me wrong professor, books are awesome.I would totally love to buy your specific edition of the book. I just would prefer, NO NEED them to be free. 

3. Ditching just isn’t an option. Period.

Hearing that attendance “isn’t mandatory” is like a knife to the heart ‘cuz you for sure that it will haunt you to the grave if you don’t attend. 

4. You went from top of the class to rock bottom 

No matter what subject or class you’re in just know that you will never be the smartest kid in class anymore. There’s that one kid who’s just better at everything.

5. You’ve finally found the difference between being  sleepy and being tired.

I think the pic will suffice. 

Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.