5 Budget-Friendly Stores You Need To Start Shopping At

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

As college students, we are on a tight budget. There is no shame in looking for a bargain. Here are some of my favorite stores to buy things on a budget.

1. Dollar Stores

This one is a no brainer. If you want a major discount, spend some time browsing the stores where literally everything is $1. Dollar stores carry various items and even have name brand items!

I only buy cleaning products from the dollar store (they work the same, half the price). It’s a useful place to get some hygiene items as well such as mouthwash, body wash, and soap!

2. Hollar

Sometimes, dollar stores aren’t as accessible. But that’s where the site Hollar comes into play. It is basically like an online dollar store. Most items range from $1-$5, with a few items going up to $10.

I like to buy storage and organization items, kitchenware, and electronic accessories like headphones.

3. Target

While Target can get a bit pricy for college students, there are everywhere so it’s a convenient stop. But Target has increasingly made an effort to be budget friendly.

Target offers a 5 cent discount when you bring your own bags. You can save in both your wallet and the environment! But one of my favorite aspects of Target is their Cartwheel app. When you download the app, you have access to the store’s deals and can add your favorites to your list. You can even scan items as you shop to check if there are any current savings.

4. Aldi

Groceries are expensive, especially when you stress eat. I’ve found that Aldi is the most budget-friendly grocery store. Most of their items are a fraction of the cost as most “leading” groceries. The store itself guarantees satisfaction, fair working conditions and environment responsibility. If you’re interested in eating healthier and organically, Trader Joe’s is owned by the same company.  

5. Ikea

Whether you live in your own apartment or on campus, you want to make your place feel homey. Sometimes this can be expensive because that velvet couch is $5,000 out of your budget. But Ikea offers home furnishing at an affordable price. My entire apartment is furnished off Ikea and cost less than $1,000. Before I moved out on my own, I would buy blankets, duvet covers, lighting, and pillows from Ikea.

I know that being an adult and managing your finances can be stressful, but these stores make it a bit easier to save some money and stress.

Christiana is a Communications major with a minor in Sociology at the University of Illinois at Chicago. Originally from a very small town in central Illinois, she spends most of her time exploring the city. She enjoys live music, poetry, and cheesy indie comedies. Catch her around campus to talk about the latest in hip-hop releases.