This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Brace yourselves, winter is coming (cue Game of Thrones introduction music). However, if you’ve spent the last week in Chicago, you’d already think it is here. This not only means that clothing styles will change (ahem, layers for warmth) but also makeup styles. Therefore, I compiled a list of lipsticks that are the perfect colors for those colder weather seasons!

LipSurgence™ Matte Lip Tint in Envy $24

If you are anything like me and take it as a personal challenge to watch every show on television, then you may have seen Two Broke Girls. On the show, the character Max (played by the hilarious babe Kat Dennings) always has a pristine mauve berry lip. So I did my research and as it turns out, the exact one her makeup artist uses on her is by Tarte and it is in the shade Envy! Because it is matte, (like a couple of the lipsticks on this list) you won’t need to be worried about it smudging. Give it a shot.

MAC’s Ruby Woo in Retro Matte $15

This lipstick is compatible with everyone’s skin tone, sort of like a universal color. Everyone needs the perfect red, so look no further! Also, because of the ultra matte finish, it will not budge from your lips all day. Eat with it on, drink with it on, even sleep with it on. Go wild! 

MAC’s Rebel $15

I think I’ve blown my cover, I am a MAC lipstick fiend. This berry shade of purple is perfect for those dark winter nights. It has a satin finish, but the color coverage is predominately opaque. It gives that sultry and edgy look, without appearing too overwhelmingly dark. It is a good alternative to a red, on days you feel like switching it up. 

Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in Naked or Naked 2 $22 

Along with the perfect red, a nude lip is a must for your makeup collection. Urban Decay’s creamy formula for their lipstick collection has colors that are extremely pigmented. Because everyone has a different skin tone, there are two different naked colors. Naked is more of a pink nude, and Naked 2 is a medium beige or nude. So stop in to your nearest Ulta or Sephora to try them on to see which one works best for you! To add on to the greatness of these lipsticks, none of Urban Decay’s makeup is tested on animals, and these particular lipsticks are even vegan. Make sure you try out the corresponding lip liners as well to get that perfect long wearing shield.

NARS Velvet Lip Pencil in Train Bleu $25

I saved the boldest shade for last. So if you are feeling adventurous, this NARS lip pencil is perfect for you. The color is described as a “deep aubergine.” But because aubergine is a word I have never used in my entire life, I’ll make it easy for both you and me by saying that the color is a deep berry wine shade. This lip pencil is saturated with rich pigments and has a velvety matte finish that will stay put. This color is perfect when you feel like embodying that vampire-esque look. Dare to try it? 

Gina Russell is a senior at the University of Illinois at Chicago. There she studies English/Communication/binge drinks coffee/complains. She is a lover of anything apple cinnamon scented and books that leave you with more questions than answers. She was born and raised in Chicago. In her spare time, though it may be scarce, she likes to emotionally listen to Florence + the Machine and Arcade Fire, go off on feminist rants, read, write, and watch poetry, add Sriracha to everything edible, incorporate tree pose into normal day activities, eat her weight in sushi, take pictures with her dog, and spontaneously combust into tears about the fact that Lollapalooza is only three days a year. If any of this happens appeal to you, you could follow her on Twitter (@geenuhhhh) or Instagram (also @geenuhhhh). Also, she happens to blog on the riveting adventures of her life or more predominately, the lack there of at http://defineweird.wordpress.com/
UIC Contributor.