5 of the Best Halloween Themed Snacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Known as a holiday filled with ghosts, haunted houses, witches and black cauldrons, Halloween does not have to all be scary. It can also be easy, fun and delicious!

1. Halloween Ghosties from allrecipes.com

Ingredients:

• 1 (12 ounce) package white chocolate chips, or as needed
  • 24 peanut-shaped peanut butter sandwich cookies
  • 48 miniature chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Place chocolate chips into a microwave-safe bowl, and heat on low in a microwave for 1 minute; stir. Continue heating on low several more times, 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each time, until white chocolate is warm and smooth.
  2. Use 2 forks to dip cookies into white chocolate; set cookies on sheets of waxed paper. Place 2 miniature chocolate chips onto one end of each cookie for eyes; set cookies aside until coating has hardened, about 20 minutes.

2. Witches’ Hats from allrecipes.com

Ingredients:

• 2 (16 ounce) packages of fudge stripe cookies
  • ¼ cup honey, or as needed
  • 1 (9 ounce) bag milk chocolate candy kisses, unwrapped
  • 1 (4.5 ounce) tube of decorating gel

Directions:

1. Place a fudge stripe cookie with the bottom side up onto a work surface. Smear a small dab (about 1/8 teaspoon) of honey onto the bottom of a chocolate kiss, and secure the candy piece to the center of the cookie, covering the hole. Use decorating gel to pipe a small bow onto the cookie at the base of the candy piece. Repeat with remaining ingredients.

3. Caramel Apples from allrecipes.com

Ingredients:

• 6 apples
  • 1 (14 ounce) package of individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped
  • 2 tablespoons of milk

Directions:

1. Remove the stem from each apple and press a craft stick into the top. Butter a baking sheet.
  2. Place caramels and milk in a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave 2 minutes stirring once. Allow to cool briefly.
  3. Roll each apple quickly in caramel sauce until well coated. Place on prepared sheet to set.

4. Magic Wands from allrecipes.com

Ingredients:

• 1 (15 ounce) package of pretzel rods
  • 1 (16 ounce) container of prepared vanilla frosting
  • ½ cup of sprinkles or colored sugar for decoration

Directions:

1) Dip each pretzel rod into the frosting, not quite halfway. Roll in sprinkles to coat the frosting. Abracadabra, you have a magic wand!

5. Mud and Worms from allrecipes.com

Ingredients:

• 12 chocolate cream-filled sandwich cookies
  • 1 (3.9 ounce) package of instant chocolate pudding mix
  • 2 cups of milk
  • 1 (3 ounce) package of gummy worms candy

Directions:

1. Place the chocolate sandwich cookies into a resealable plastic zipper bag, and crush with a rolling pin into crumbs. For a more mud-like appearance, untwist the cookies and scrape off the cream filling before crushing cookies.
  2. Whisk together the chocolate pudding mix with the milk in a bowl, stirring for 2 minutes. Sprinkle about 1/3 of the crushed sandwich cookie crumbs into the bottom of a serving bowl, and spoon the chocolate pudding over the crumbs. Smooth out the top of the pudding, then top with the rest of the chocolate cookie crumbs to resemble dirt. Poke gummy worms halfway into the dirt. Refrigerate until serving.

Halloween is known as a holiday full of tricks, and of course, treats, the possibilities are endless!

(all photos courtesy of allrecipes.com and pexels.com)

My name is Maggie, and I am currently a junior at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC). My major is English, with a concentration in professional and technical writing. Currently, I am interning at Classic Chicago Magazine, an online magazine located in the city of Chicago, and I am one of their social media correspondents. Being a member of HerCampus UIC is wonderful opportunity and exactly what I need to learn how to achieve my goals while enhancing my writing and technology skills.
UIC Contributor.