4 Tips To Help You Get Used To Big City Living

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Wherever you may have previously lived, it’s no doubt that moving to a big city like Chicago can be intimidating. The buses, the subway, all the noises, and traffic. It becomes so easy to feel overwhelmed and lost, especially if you come from a small, quiet town. These four tips should help your move in be a bit more painless!

1. Become a Public Transportation Master

Learning the general routes of the subways and nearby buses, along with their fares, is one of the best ways to give you a sense of belonging in a big city. Let’s be honest, knowing exactly what route you need to take to get somewhere, and then actually getting there, feels pretty accomplishing. Go out when you have some free time, or when walking down the street, and take notice of which way certain buses travel. Also, keep a picture of subway routes on your phone so you don’t have to frantically search for a route poster around the platform when you notice trains arriving. Being attentive with these details will help you remember them faster in the future.

2. Prepare. For. The. Weather.

You can never accurately predict the weather, especially during the transition of seasons. No matter how many times you check the weather app before you leave, you can never be too sure. If you think it might be a bit cold out, bring a jacket, just in case. Unless it’s over 75, always bring a light sweater, the city can get really drafty. But remember, regardless of what the weather app shows, ALWAYS bring an umbrella, and I mean always.

3. Explore, But Be Aware

Go out and explore your area! Don’t be afraid of looking like a tourist! Walk around the streets near your home and look up some places that are been highly raved about or talk to locals about good spots to go and visit, whether that be restaurants or shops. This is a great way to get comfortable with your surroundings, learn street names, and know where your resources are. However, you must be careful and do research on your new city. As great as a big city is, not every neighborhood is the best place to be in. Plan out where you want to go and know which places you should avoid.

4. Be Smart With Your Money

While living in an area with so many different events and places to be, it’s very easy to give in to temptation and drain the bank. Shopping at every store in sight, or on a night out in a nice club may greatly affect your wallet. Know your budget. Ask yourself if something is truly worth buying, or if it’s just trying to sell you on the “city life” factor? With all this in mind, don’t forget to have fun and spoil yourself from time to time!

Metropolitan cities have so much to offer, so get out there and take advantage of your new lifestyle!

Hello! My name is Sonia & I am a freshman at UIC! I am currently majoring in Biology with a pre-veterinary medicine track! This is also my first year on the editorial team for UIC's HER Campus chapter!
UIC Contributor.