4 Things to Keep In Mind When Using Social Media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

In today’s culture (in America at least), it is hard to meet someone that is not currently or previously associated with a social network. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat and Tumblr (just to name a few) are the new ways of communication that have taken over human interaction, especially for young people. But how much of the stuff posted on these sites is reality and how should you go about navigating through them in the best way?

Using these apps can have a negative effect on your emotions without you even realizing it. When online and keeping self-love in mind, it is important to remember a few things:

1. People only post what they want you to see

People tend to post all their highs and not their lows. Just because your newsfeed is filled with posts of huge smiles and the sun shining does not mean that your life is not as exciting or happy. Everyone has problems and most are not willing to post them online for everyone to view.

2. Filters and editing photos exists and people use them

Do not be fooled! People choose the absolute best picture to post and sometimes it goes along with some editing. Just because your selfies do not turn out as flawless does not automatically mean that you are not beautiful as well. A selfie does not define you!

3. The amount of followers or friends you have means nothing in real life

Yayyyy, here’s a $1000 for reaching 1000 followers! …said no one ever. The truth of the matter is that the amount friends or followers you have online has no real value in life unless you are an Instagram model (possibly). While it may be cool to have many followers, it is irrelevant outside of your phone. Avoid looking at the numbers and just interact freely.

4. Importance of living in the moment

Yes, documenting through pictures and videos are cool, but living and absorbing the moment as it happens is important. I often go to concerts and find it hard to even see the stage because of all of the phones being held up to film what is going on. Instead of being distracted by wanting to post everything that is happening, try to be completely present. Pictures might last a lifetime, but so do memories!

Sally Ndir is a junior studying Biological Sciences at the University of Illinois at Chicago. She enjoys eating out, shopping in the city, and fashion.
Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.