george pagan iii f PH16nZHKI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
george pagan iii f PH16nZHKI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 Reasons Why You Should Consider Quitting Social Media

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

While randomly scouring Youtube recently before bed, a TEDx Talk video titled Quit Social Media | Dr. Cal Newport | TEDxTysons arose on my list of recommended videos. With the start of the new year and semester, ways to make better use of my time have plagued my mind as I look to improve. Watching the video has opened my eyes to the subconscious impact that social media has on our psyches and productivity. Here are a few reasons that were outlined in the video as well as personal observations as to why quitting social media might be the best decision for self-care, your education, and social life to name a few.

1. Short attention span will lengthen

Due to the endless scrolling of funny memes, short videos and more, millennials specifically have a hard time focusing on anything for an extended amount of time. Without focus, it is impossible to be successful at anything. Not having something to check on often will eliminate the daily distraction of social media websites and open up a world of many hours that can be used productively. Being college students, it is important to be smart with our time and focus on things that will attribute to our futures instead of looking at things that will be forgotten by the end of the week.

2. Life will become more full

Life was able to be great since the beginning of time to about 2005 without social media. Social media is a very new invention and is not the end all, be all of social interactions. Living in the moment without any digital interruptions is almost a thing of the past which is frightening in itself. People believe that they are ‘staying touch’ with their friends and family by looking at their posts and viewing their day to day exchanges. What they are doing less of is conversing and engaging in quality interactions, something that we should value and make an effort to take part in

3. A cellular device will not be the priority or center of your possessions

Many people that choose to opt out of social media often forget about their phones or are not attached to it as if it were a vital organ. This is undoubtedly healthier than obsessing over a piece of material that can be taken away at any moment. Instead of contributing time to the people around us, we are consumed with what is going on with people through a skewed lens. Getting out there and seeing things for what they are, in real time, in real life will change your perspective on life and what it really is about.

4. Your news intake will be more accurate

Social media has been good at giving everyone a space to tell their viewpoints and stories. Unfortunately, this has led to the downfall of credibility and reporting facts when it comes to news. Social networks have been the dumping grounds of fake stories, exaggerations, and dishonesty. Cutting this off will lessen your flow of inaccurate information.

A few minutes here and there on Twitter or periodically checking Snapchats that are a few seconds may seem harmless; collectively it can impact almost every aspect of your life which should not be taken lightly. Deleting all social media cold turkey may seem impossible to some but taking baby steps to eventually getting to that point will make a difference in one way or the other. Maybe you can delete specific apps off your phone and give yourself a couple of minutes a day to check to lessen the amount spent daily. Any step taken is a step to a mrore fulfilled life experience.

Sally Ndir is a junior studying Biological Sciences at the University of Illinois at Chicago. She enjoys eating out, shopping in the city, and fashion.
UIC Contributor.