Wellness > Sex + Relationships

4 Reasons Why It’s Okay To Be Single and Live Your Best Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Ladies, for a long time we have been told that being in a relationship is what makes us feel complete. Well, I’m here to tell you all of that is a myth *Gasp* Yes, of course, it’s fun to have a crush or to be in a relationship with a person that you are compatible with. But, it’s also okay to learn and grow as an individual. It’s very important to love yourself before you can love another person. Some of the best memories I have are with myself; being single is a beautiful thing. The reality is that it’s refreshing to spend time with yourself and learn about who you are.

Self-Love

When you aren’t tied down to another person, you really learn a lot about yourself and become more comfortable in spending time with yourself. Practicing self-love, and self-care is important. We are all bad-ass and beautiful women, and it’s good to remind ourselves from time to time. Loving yourself doesn’t make you conceited, and don’t let anyone tell you that it does.

Selfish

Many people say that it’s not good to be selfish, well I’m here to tell you that there are times when you need to be selfish. Sometimes when we are in a relationship, we tend to lose ourselves and put the other person’s needs before our own. Yes, it’s good to be selfless, just like it’s good to be selfish, but to an extent. With that being said, go get those dreams, and turn them into a reality. Do the things that you have wanted to do, and most of all, be the person that you’ve always wanted to be. Be brave, and girl, be a little selfish.

More Time For Other Things

Having more free time means extra time for Netflix! Just kidding, but really, it means more time for the things you love. Whether it’s more time for friends, your occupation, traveling, or even just the little things, like shopping.

Achieving Your Goals

Of course you can achieve your goals even when you’re in a relationship. But when you have more time, it’s a different type of drive. You become more involved with your passions, and that ultimately leads to accomplishing your goals and also becoming the best version of yourself. So go out there and show the world that you are in charge of your own destiny! *Cue Single Ladies by Beyonce*

Just your average girl living in a big city, trying to figure out life.