4 Reasons Why I’m a Feminist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

First off, let’s get something straight before the world crumbles before our eyes. Feminism, as defined by the Merriam-Webster dictionary, is “the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities.” PERIOD. And, a Feminist is someone who supports Feminism. No, feminists don’t hate the world, all men, or want to eat babies, etc. We just want EQUALITY. Is that so much to ask for? I think not. 

So, what’s the big hype about feminists? Why am I one to begin with? It took me a very long time before I even considered referring myself as a feminist. Coming from a very traditional Mexican family, disobeying male authority (be it good/bad) was never part of being a good daughter or wife. 

1. Let’s get personal: I’ve had some bad experiences with violent men

I will not say names, nor instigate that all men are violet and prone to violence toward their wives, daughters, or nieces. But I will say that I’ve seen enough to say that I harbor some anger towards the gender inequality that still exists in the 21st century. I will say that because of my experiences, I now feel an obligation to end patriarchy by educating myself and other women and men about this inequality and injustice.

2. I’m feminist because I’m tired AF of hearing men refer to women as “b***h”, “wh**e”, or “sexy piece of a**”.

I don’t mind nicknames. But the fact that men and even women refer to one another using these words really does not do any of us justice. This just reinforces our own immaturity and lack of respect towards one another. 

3. Because I want to support the mothers in the world who struggle to bring education and financial stability to their children

I was lucky enough to have a strong mother who kept me safe from all the violent men in my life. She took the blows for me, and that deserves all the respect in the world by not only me but the rest of the world as well. I would never have made it this far if it had not been for her. A child is only as strong as the mothers that raised them. 

4. I just want a decent paycheck once in a while. 

I’m tired of getting 75 cents for every dollar a man makes. I don’t understand why women still make less than men. Is it because we naturally lack the upper body strength men have? ‘Cuz if that’s the case, then idk what to tell my female MMA/UFC fighter friends. 

Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.