Wellness

4 Essential Oils You Didn’t Know You Needed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Essential oils are natural, plant-based compounds that can be used in various ways. They can be used for aromatherapy, personal care, cleaning, emotional support and so on. Essential oils are extremely potent in their scent. It is recommended that one uses a carrier oil before applying; this is a base that dilutes the essential oil. My favorite carrier oils to use on my skin before applying essential oils are coconut oil and jojoba oil. Coconut oil softens and hydrates the skin while jojoba oil is nutritious for the skin and locks in moisture. What you want to do is massage a tiny bit of a carrier oil of choice onto your skin; my favorite places to put essential oils are on my wrists, neck, face, and sometimes on my legs after shaving. After you massage a carrier oil onto your skin, apply a few drops of an essential oil of your choice over the same spots and rub it thoroughly. Here are four essential oils with some of their uses:

Lavender Essential Oil: calming, sleep-promoting, stress relieving.

You can use lavender essential oil directly on your skin with a carrier oil, put a few drops into your bath or add some to a spray bottle with water and spray it on your pillow.

Tea Tree Essential Oil: anti-inflammatory, kills bacteria, increases hair growth.

You can use tea tree oil directly on your acne without a carrier oil. This will reduce the swelling and redness. You can also mix it with coconut oil and apply it as a hair mask.

Peppermint Essential Oil: cooling, relieves pain, emotionally stimulating.

You can use peppermint essential oil with a carrier on your skin to give a sensation of coolness to the body. If you have sore muscles this will also relax your muscles. Because of its fresh minty smell, it can uplift your mood or help you concentrate.

Eucalyptus Essential Oil: stimulates the immune system, heals wounds, relieves pain.

You can safely inhale the smell of eucalyptus essential oil to decongest. When applied to the skin with a carrier oil it can treat muscle and joint pain.

Stephanie Saranga is an charismatic, loving, and hard working student who is currently attending The University of Illinois at Chicago. She plans to major in Urban Education and master in Speech Pathology. During her free time she enjoys to listen to music (specifically rap and R&B), read, bake, and paint.
UIC Contributor.