22 Things I’ve Learned Over 22 Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

The age of 22 has got me feeling some type of way, and this didn’t just happen overnight. Reflecting back on the highs and lows of my life in this past year alone, I’ve embodied the vision of a woman that is surprisingly even better than I had imagined. When you learn to become comfortable in your most uncomfortable zone, you discover what you’re really made out of.

However, I’ll be the first to say that while I still have a lot of growing up to do, I’ve learned that with hard work, patience, and time comes maturity. And while 22 isn’t remotely close to grandma-status, I understand that I’ve grown and continue to keep growing. So without further adieu, here are a few of my favorite life lessons that are sure to leave a similar imprint on your ever-evolving soul. Cheers!

1.  Being selfish is a good thing

2.  It’s okay to cry

3. Don’t regret giving more than you take

4. Travel as much as you can

5. You can’t please everybody

6. Blood is thicker than water

7. Things only matter if you give meaning to them

8. Vulnerability isn’t a weakness

9. It’s not going to be easy, it’s going to be worth it

10. You will receive the love you deserve

11. If it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you

12. You deserve to be happy

13. Good things come to those who wait

14. Laughter is the best medicine

15. When you know better, you do better

16. Let karma do its thing

17. Don’t wait to be sure, keep moving

18. Treat yourself

19. Don’t compare

20. You are a priority, not an option

21. Be optimistic

22. You will be fine

Monica is a lifestyle, beauty, and travel blogger for Her Campus at the University of Illinois at Chicago. She is a full-time, Dean's List student studying elementary education with a concentration in English. Before joining the editorial team, she dedicated countless hours of volunteer work as the Community Service Chair for Chi Sigma Omega sorority. When she graduates, she plans to teach and volunteer in underprivileged communities overseas. Her hobbies include running, binge-watching Friends, baking, and traveling.
UIC Contributor.