woman wearing green graduation cap
woman wearing green graduation cap
Juan Ramos/Unsplash

16 Things I Wished I Knew Before College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Reflecting on these past four years, have been extremely nostalgic. The friends, the stress, the experiences that I made were incredibly shaping of my life. The hours studying, the time spent stressing over exams and finals, the professors I bonded with, and the professors that encouraged me to reach for the stars, the academic advisors that shaped my academic career, the study buddies, and the all-nighters. We are always told that college can be the best four years of your life… and to me, they were. We make our greatest friends, learn the most about ourselves, and learn the greatest life values.

In 2.5 weeks, I will be a college graduate, and let me tell you that is extremely weird to say. I will be walking across that stage, with a Bachelor’s Degree in Integrated Health. I’m eternally grateful for everything that has shaped me and the experience college has given me. Although I’ve learned much about life and much about my own IHS education, I wish I knew certain things before entering college.

If I were to go back to freshman year Angelica these are the things I’d tell her:

1. Don’t think you need to rush your 4 years. It’s okay to finish in 4.5 or even 5 years.
  2. You don’t have to be a doctor, look into other options. There are many in the healthcare field that can you choose from, like Nursing
  3. Join a sorority from the start; trust me you’re going to benefit from it.
  4. Don’t settle for stupid boys. You’ll soon find out that all of them are a waste of your time. Find yourself in the process.
  5. Don’t lose your virginity to that guy sophomore year. He doesn’t care about you, and you deserve better, WAY BETTER.
  6. It’s okay to not drink and or have a small alcohol tolerance. Drinking is not everything it seems to be.
  7. Take some more psychology classes.
  8. Don’t be afraid to speak your mind about what bothers you, stop being passive-aggressive.
  9. Join more clubs.
  10. Change your major… biology is going to kill you.
  11. Go to therapy often.
  12. Talk to your Mom more.
  13. Express yourself more.
  14. Remember to love your life, and love your body.
  15. Tell your mom you love her more often.
  16. Remember to enjoy your college experience, FULLY.

College was such an influential part of my life, and I’m eternally grateful for the experiences and memories. Enjoy your college experience… because, in a blink of an eye, you’ll be walking across that stage receiving your diploma. Remember beauts, stay bold and stay true.

Senior at the University of Illinois-Chicago, studying Integrated Health, with a Nursing goal!
UIC Contributor.