10 Things Not To Say To A Single Person On Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

So Valentine’s Day is rolling around and let’s be real: if you’re like me, then February is not your month. Well, just the first two weeks. Don’t get me wrong –  I’m all for the holiday, but when you’re single things just aren’t as great. Now, I’m not unhappy with being single as a Pringle, but there’s just one thing that bothers me around this time of year: the things people will tell you while you’re single on this holiday. When you were single or are currently single, then you definitely understand that these are things not to say to us during this holiday.

1. “Don’t feel bad about being single.”

Ummm…. excuse me? I never felt bad about being single on Valentine’s Day. I am perfectly fine with my two favorite men on Valentine’s Day: Ben and Jerry. No one should feel bad about being single on Valentine’s Day, because guess what? We are still fabulous without a significant other that day.

2. “Don’t worry, you’ll definitely be in a relationship next year.”

So, obviously you’ve met my significant other already. Can you introduce me?  You can’t be sure if I’ll be in a relationship or not next Valentine’s Day, not that it should really matter. People can still have a great Valentine’s Day without having a significant other, whether it’s having Galentine’s Day with your girls or just chilling on your couch watching Netflix. 

3. “What are you doing for Valentine’s Day?”

I don’t know. What are you doing?

4. “Are you lonely?”

Not really.

5. “Are you bitter this time of year?”

Are you bitter?

6. “Why are you single?”

I don’t know. Why are you a dumbass?

7.  “Do you like anyone?”

If I did, you wouldn’t be the first person to know. The only people who would know would be my friends and the guy, once I get the balls to tell him.

8. “Do you want to go out with my significant other and me?”

Do I look like I want to be a third wheel? Thank you for the thought though.

9. “Who’s your Valentine?”

I don’t know. Did you want to be mine?

10. “Do you hate Valentine’s Day?”

Just because I’m single doesn’t mean I automatically hate Valentine’s Day.

Ladies, remember that Valentine’s Day is celebrating love. It celebrates love that’s not only reserved for a significant other, but the love you have for your friends and family. For my singles out there, don’t let people bring you down about being single, because if you’re happy, then it shouldn’t matter. I hope you all have an amazing Valentine’s Day, whether you are single or in a relationship!

Hi I'm Aeja! Junior at UIC and a Pre Nursing Major. I try to write what inspires me, so I hope you enjoy my articles!
Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.