This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Studying Abroad has been mentioned as one of the most worthwhile and rewarding opportunities a college student can experience. It has so many benefits and has become a surprisingly affordable option as many colleges support this opportunity and reward their students for doing so. Many students consider studying abroad before graduating, but feel it may not be for them. We’ve created a list of 10 incredible benefits to studying abroad in support of encouraging you to realize you can study abroad! Here are some reasons why you should do so. 

Fluency: Although knowledge of a foreign language is not necessary for studying abroad, learning a new language is a reason why many people choose to go abroad for a bit. Studying a language in high school and college doesn’t necessarily suggest fluency at some point, though. By studying abroad you immerse yourself in the culture directly and get to learn from native speakers. They offer valuable help and conversation that you cannot get in a classroom. Fluency has been attributed to studying abroad time and time again. 

Résumé: Studying abroad looks great on résumés! Sometimes studying abroad can be the boost one needs to earn a position. It can give you an edge over competition and widen your list of experiences that you can proudly list when applying for jobs.

Culture: Studying abroad immerses you in the culture of a foreign place and allows you to learn things about a culture possibly very different from your own. Near or far, other cultures will definitely vary in one way or another and living in one for a period of time will definitely allow you to learn some valuable things. 

Food: While studying abroad you can experience and taste foods very new to you and sometimes even eat healthier than you might eat at home. Foods in other countries will definitely vary, but you can learn about the food that goes along with the culture you’re living in. Maybe you’ll even pick up some new favorites!

History: Traveling to a new country offers endless amounts of tourist attractions and you can learn valuable historical information. Your historical knowledge can be seen through the eyes of the culture you’re living in, and you can gain perspective on the past through different points of view. This is valuable information you cannot get in a classroom.

People: Meeting new people along the way will only help open your eyes and realize the experience you’re lucky enough to be living. Some of the connections you’ll make studying abroad will change your perspective and can become lifelong friendships. There’s truly always something to learn from others. 

Adventure: Studying abroad will possibly immerse you in a culture very opposite your own, and can offer various adventurous experiences. You are experiencing what the world has to offer and seeing what happens. It’s a brave and recognizable experience that people encourage others to do time and time again. Maybe you’ll even surprise yourself with what you do and spark a new passion!

Breakdown Stereotypes: Sometimes it takes a friendship or acquaintance to break down stereotypes foreign people may hold against certain standards you hold, as well as preconceived notions you may have towards a specific culture. Breaking down these barriers creates an opportunity to help you become more worldly and understand others in a new light. 

Experiences: Some of the experiences while studying abroad are going to be ones you can never recreate or find at home. These experiences may become unforgettable and even change your life as you grow as a person. Wonderful memories are meant to be formed while studying abroad! 

Independence: While studying abroad you will realize what you can do in life. You might be completely alone with no language skills, or you could be going with a friend, but either way you’re going to be in a foreign place independent and experiencing life. What a great opportunity to test your abilities and grow as a person!

If you find yourself considering studying abroad, we encourage you to go to a free, non-obligatory informational meeting at the Study Abroad Office in University Hall. Meetings occur multiple times a week, or you can set up a one-on-one meeting to discuss further information about affording studying abroad, finding a country suitable for you, etc. Studying abroad can be a scary thing for some people, for others they are able to jump head first. In both cases, studying abroad will offer an experience you can always look back on and say you’ve done. Go to a meeting and discover all the opportunities studying abroad can offer you in your education!

UIC Study Abroad Office

Campus: University of Illinois at Chicago Major: English with a concentration in Media, Rhetorical and Cultural Studies Minor: Germanic Studies Status: Senior Jennifer is a born and raised Chicago girl passionate about her studies. She loves to help people all that she can and contribute to the betterment of others. Used to being on the go, Jennifer is enthusiastic about obtaining her degree and learning many different things along the way. She is interested in music, movies, reading, volunteering, and is a major Blackhawks fan. Her dream is obtain her degree and work with writing in a fashion that will reach out to people.
Campus: University of Illinois at Chicago Major: English with a concentration in Media, Rhetorical and Cultural Studies Minor: Psychology, Sociology Melissa is born and raised in Chicago. She started out at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign before coming to UIC.
UIC Contributor.