10 Fictional Characters That Deserve Better Than What They Got

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

We all have that character in a TV show/movie/video game/anime/book that we all love and want to protect forever, but for whatever stupid reason the creators of the show never want to give them any love. Maybe they never get the boy or girl they’ve been crushing on. Maybe they end up having all of these bad things happen to them, and they have no way of stopping it. Maybe they end up dead for some stupid reason, who knows. Whatever the case, these creations are all people who, in my opinion, deserve better than what they got.

10. Tracey from How I Met Your Mother

After spending 10 seasons building up to her big reveal, Tracey–the titular mother from How I Met Your Mother–ends up dead by the end of her introductory season. Plus her memory gets screwed over because the writers immediately paired Ted up with Robin, despite pairing Robin off with Barney earlier in the season. What the heck, writers?

9. Toby from The Office

Okay, don’t get me wrong: Toby is definitely a weak character compared to some of the zany characters that make up the rest of Dundler-Mifflin. But when you think about it, Toby’s just trying to work at a dead-end job, following HR protocol while also raising his daughter as a divorced parent, plus he has to deal with all of Michael’s snark towards him. No wonder the guy constantly looks like he hates his life.

8. Donna from Doctor Who

All the other companions get to keep their memories of their awesome space travels, while Donna gets her memory erased because if she keeps them, she’ll literally die. She has to go back to her normal life without any memory of how important she is or the cool stuff she did. She was so robbed.

7. Eponine from Les Miserables

Yeah, yeah, I know, stereotypical choice, but Marius is friggin confessing his love for Cosette while Eponine is STANDING RIGHT THERE, she brings the letter to Cosette, and what thanks does she get for it? Oh, a gunshot wound to the chest. Nbd. “On My Own” is an absolute tune though.

6. Tom Robinson from To Kill a Mockingbird

ALL HE DID WAS BUST A CHIFFAROBE BEFORE HE GOT SCREWED OVER BY EVERYONE. UGH.

5. Nina and Alexander from Fullmetal Alchemist

Word of advice: Don’t watch the anime these two came from. Seriously, your heart and sanity will love you for it.

4. Barb from Stranger Things

Always and forever, #JusticeforBarb.

3. Bob from Stranger Things

Wow, just when the Byers family gets a great and loving father figure who understands some of their struggles, he has to go and SACRIFICE HIMSELF. Ugh, Bob, come back and make the Byers happy again. :(

2. Fred Weasley from Harry Potter

Actually, pretty much everyone who dies in Deathly Hallows, to be honest, but Fred was one of the worst. HE WAS JUST IN THE WRONG PLACE AT THE WRONG TIME. HE WAS A LAUGHING AT PERCY’S JOKE. UGH.

1. Everyone from Avengers: Infinity War

WHAT DID THEY DO TO DESERVE ANY OF THIS? WHAT. DID. THEY. DO?

All gifs from giphy.

UIC Contributor.