Before You Text Your Ex!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UH chapter.

Put your phone down. Take a deep breath. And breathe out whatever nonsense made you think about texting your ex.

What do you miss?

Do you miss the times your ex cheated on you or broke your heart? Do you miss the times your ex disrespected you or put you last on his to-do list?

A lot of the times, when you want to text your ex you’re reminiscing about the person they used to be. You’re thinking about the times when he bought you flowers and rubbed your back after a long day at work.

Honey, any man can bring you flowers and rub your back…but every man won’t hurt you like he did. There is someone else out there that will do those nice things for you and won’t break your heart leaving you to sweep up the pieces.

What advice would you tell your best friend?

If you had a best friend that was in the same relationship you were in, would you tell your best friend to go back? Would you want your best friend to be devalued? Would you want your best friend to be  held back from reaching their goals?

If you would tell your best friend not to go back, then you shouldn’t go back. Treat your heart like your cherished best friend and don’t take it through the same pain it went through before.

If you still want to text your ex…wait 48 hours.

When we feel the urge to text our ex, it happens randomly.

We saw them on social media looking good, and wanted to reach out. Or maybe a Drake song came on and left us wanting to enter Marvin’s Room and tell them they can do better.

Whatever we saw or felt made us want to text our ex within moments. Moments change and moments fade. That is why if you want to text your ex, wait 48 hours after that moment occurs.

If you still want to text them after that then that means the moment was genuine and you should go ahead and text them. On the other hand, if the moment subsides after 48 hours, then be proud of yourself for not acting on impulses, and go out there and find someone who will treat you like you deserve to be treated.

Year: SeniorMajor: Management-Human Resource Management TrackHobbies: the gym, long nights spent reading Pinterest quotes, Gilmore Girls, drinking black coffee, poetry, cooking, bikram yoga, changing my nail color daily, shopping at Trader Joe's, Sprouts & Whole Foods
"Writing means sharing. It's part of the human condition to want to share things - thoughts, ideas, opinions."