This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UH chapter.

Feminism. Don’t hide from this word. This word is the only hope women have for gaining equal rights in today’s society. Despite all the progress that has been made there is much more ground to cover. Feminism has become a movement that has been steadily gaining traction since the 1800s.

This philosophy is about gender equality. Equal rights for both women and men yet some feminist take it to the extreme by trying to make men inferior to women.

It’s important to know that in 2015 women still made only 78 cents to a man’s dollar.  Also African American women make 64 cents and Latinas make 56 cents to a white man’s dollar. On top of that mothers make less than women without children. That means a Latin mother would make less than half of what a Caucasian man makes.

Another issue is the tampon tax. Yes, you read that correctly. Tampons are taxed in most states because they are being classified as a luxury item. But it is neither a luxury nor a choice to menstruate for women. Many women have taken to protesting by free bleeding in public to show that they cannot control a naturally occurring bodily function.

Women everywhere are fighting for more rights and organizations like HeForShe founded by UN Women are making the fight easier. HeForShe advocates Women’s rights by focusing on men and boys to become an ambassador for change to attain gender equality. Their goal is to get both genders to work harmoniously to encourage equality 

The work of feminists is far from over. Activist for gender equality will continue the good fight to bridge the gap until it is nonexistent. With women becoming more educated and taking a stand to fight for equal rights the future appears to be more hopeful.

I am an aspiring writer and excited to be writing for Her Campus. I am a print media journalism major with a minor in classical studies in the class of 2017. Go Coogs! Writing is one of my passions and I believe it give us the potential to make a huge impact. So be kind. Love much. And write on.
"Writing means sharing. It's part of the human condition to want to share things - thoughts, ideas, opinions."