5 Things Every Freshman Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UH chapter.

You have successfully finished your first two weeks of college. Despite the stack of assignments piling up, you have decided it’s time for you to relax and binge watch “Stranger Things” on Netflix. You even mumble under your breath, “Ahhh, it’s good to meet you Freedom.”

However, before you get too settled into your “freedom” phase, let me give you a short list of tips that will help you survive what’s to come.

1.Write important dates on your calendar.

We tend to trust our minds a lot, but with the beginning of a new semester things tend to get a little bit crazy. Make a note of add/drop dates, exams, assignment due dates, football games, and most importantly, holidays.

2.Get acquainted with your professors and at least one of your classmates.

3.Make a habit of arriving to class on time.

P.S. Always set an alarm or two. Or ten.

4.Buy tons of sweatpants and hoodies or tons of healthy snacks because the freshman 15 is real!     

5.Either learn to be a vampire or learn how to live without a social life.

HELLO! My name is Denia Gomez. I am a Latino first generation student at the University of Houston. I'm majoring in Biochemistry (YAY! Science). I am the youngest of four and the only girl. On my free time i like to hang out with family and friends and go on spontaneous adventures, like random road trips to San Antonio or Dallas. I also enjoy a good cup of tea and a good read. And when all fails, my favorite thing to do is to sleep!
"Writing means sharing. It's part of the human condition to want to share things - thoughts, ideas, opinions."