4 Different Ways to Celebrate Singletine’s Day!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UH chapter.

February is the month that single women and men (quietly) tend to go into a panic because they believe that being single on Valentine’s Day is a bad thing.

Then people will create a Tinder account and swipe left and right until they find a person that will swipe their credit card to buy them gifts.

Swiper, no swiping!

It is time to embrace your single status for Valentine’s Day.

February 14 is now officially Singletine’s Day and here are four things to make your day a great one:

1. Go See “How To Be Single”

“How To Be Single” is a movie featuring the hilarious Rebel Wilson, also known as Fat Amy from Pitch Perfect, coming out on Feb. 12.

It is about a woman that has recently broken up with her boyfriend and is now clueless about the world. So, her friend takes her under her wings and teaches her how to be single and all the perks that come with it.

Go see this movie and take notes, but be sure not to spill vodka on them when you hit the club afterwards.

2. Have a Wine or Beer Tasting Party

Some may drink a bottle of merlot alone while watching reruns of Sex and the City, but not for this Singletine’s Day.

This is the perfect time to invite some friends over and have a wine or beer tasting party, whichever fits your fancy.

You may think this will be expensive, but it’s actually very cheap to organize. Trader Joe’s has a wine wall of $2.99 wine bottles, and BYOB is always a good way to go.

It’s time to plan your party!  

3. Show Love to the Less Fortunate

Instead of sulking about how single you are, get out in the world and make a change. You could go around town passing sandwiches out to the homeless people or you could volunteer at a shelter or soup kitchen.

February 14 is a day for expressing love, and helping those who can’t do anything to repay you is the purest form of love.

4. Love yourself

The most important  person on Singletine’s Day is yourself. You have wiped your own tears, and motivated yourself better than anyone else can.

Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.”-Lucille Ball.

Year: SeniorMajor: Management-Human Resource Management TrackHobbies: the gym, long nights spent reading Pinterest quotes, Gilmore Girls, drinking black coffee, poetry, cooking, bikram yoga, changing my nail color daily, shopping at Trader Joe's, Sprouts & Whole Foods
"Writing means sharing. It's part of the human condition to want to share things - thoughts, ideas, opinions."