3 Steps to Shooting for Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UH chapter.

Today, I will be your coach. You will no longer sit on the bench, while your crush slides into the DMs of others. You will no longer play it safe while the other team takes it to the paint and lays-up in the person you like (no pun intended). I will be coaching you how to successfully shoot your shot.

Step 1: WWMJD?

Michael Jordan is arguably the best player to ever grace the NBA. Clearly, Jordan knows how to play the game, so every move you make towards shooting your shot ask yourself a simple question. What would Michael Jordan do? Would MJ say “What’s up shawty?” or would he start the conversation with a simple “Hello” and a blushing emoji?  Simply asking yourself “WWMJD?”

Step 2: Step onto the Court

This sounds like an obvious step, but it truly isn’t. Some people will try to shoot their shot from the bench. Sliding into your crushes DMs asking about homework does not count as shooting your shot. Shoot your shot directly at the basket by telling your crush you like them! Sharing your feelings with your crush leaves room for finding out whether your shot is a success or whether you need to catch the rebound. Step onto the court and let your intentions be known. Don’t hide behind the sidelines.

Step 3: Charge the Defense

As you prepare to shoot your shot, there will be defense. The defense is anyone in your life that is telling you that you won’t make your shot. They will get in your face to make sure that if you do try to shoot your shot they’ll block it. You cannot allow anyone to steal your trophy. When this happens you must charge your haters. In the game of basketball, a “charge” is when the person with the ball pushes against an opposing team player’s torso. In preparation to shoot your shot, you must be willing to charge anyone who tries to stop you…even yourself. Sometimes we can get in our own way with negative thoughts.

Now get in the game and shoot your shot!

Year: SeniorMajor: Management-Human Resource Management TrackHobbies: the gym, long nights spent reading Pinterest quotes, Gilmore Girls, drinking black coffee, poetry, cooking, bikram yoga, changing my nail color daily, shopping at Trader Joe's, Sprouts & Whole Foods
"Writing means sharing. It's part of the human condition to want to share things - thoughts, ideas, opinions."