Wellness > Sex + Relationships

10 Things Bisexual Girls Are Tired of Hearing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UH chapter.

1. “It’s just a phase.”

My junior high emo style was a phase. This is nothing like that.

2. “Bisexuals are promiscuous.”

Bisexuals can be promiscuous. So can straight people and gay people. Bisexuals can also have sex sparingly and date rarely. Just like you!

3. “Bisexuals are cheaters.”

Okay, I cheated off your test, like, one time, Susan. Let it go.

4. “Bi-erasure is a myth.”

Bi-erasure is real, to the point that there are legitimized tropes in media regarding characters being Ambiguously Bi or Invisibly Bi. Characters who are shown as being attracted to two genders very rarely get to say the word bisexual, as though it’s a curse word.

5. “Bisexuals are scared of commitment.”

Um, excuse me. Leave my commitment issues out of this, please and thanks.

6. “Bisexuals are only attracted to binary genders.”

The prefix bi- means two or twice, and the word bisexual means “attracted to two genders”. Notice that nowhere in that definition does it specify which two genders.

7. “I don’t know if I’d want to date a girl who’s bi.”

Well, that’s just fine, because I guarantee we don’t want to date you either.

8. “Bisexuals have straight-passing privilege.”

What the #%*$ is straight-passing privilege? Is having your sexuality ignored a privilege now? Tell that to the bi men and women who fought for their inclusion in LGBT movements.

9. “Just make up your mind already!”

I… I already have. That’s kind of the point of using the term bisexual.

10. “You’re only bisexual because it’s cool now.”

News flash—it’s always been cool. Another news flash: I’ll always be bi, even when everyone stops thinking it’s trendy and edgy. That’s how sexualities and identities work. And bisexuality, just like any other sexuality, is a part of identity.

(Cover Image)

Ariz is the Managing Director and a Campus Correspondent at HerCampus at the University of Houston. She is a candidate for a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science on the Pre-Law track. In her free time, she likes to catch up on sleep, listen to Supreme Court arguments, and rewatch Game of Thrones and Brooklyn Nine-Nine.