andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Your New Spring Break Reading List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

With a week off comes the time to do all the things we’re unable to during school. Whether that is traveling, working or reading is completely up to you. With this unlimited free time, you now have the ability to read a book for fun instead of some boring book for school. Luckily for us, there are a plethora of fiction books out there that will provide entertainment for our break. Below are a list of suggestions of books to fill your Spring Break week with. 

1. Burning the Map by Laura Caldwell 

If you love your friends and love to travel, this is the book for you. Caldwell writes a fun and witty read that will keep you entertained. Her descriptive writing makes you feel like you’re actually in Europe with the main characters; Casey, Lindsey and Kat. The novel is a coming-of-age story in the sense that Casey is finding out what she truly wants to do with her life after college, a question we can all relate to. This is the perfect book to bring along with you to the beach. 

2. Shopaholic Series by Sophie Kinsella

The Shopaholic series is extremely underrated. With only one movie being made, it’s easy to think that there is only one book in the series. However, that’s not the case. There are eight books in the series and even novellas. As we all know, the series follows financial writer Becky Bloomwood as she struggles with her addiction to shopping. The books are incredibly witty and will have you laughing out loud. Be sure to see where Becky’s misadventures take her in this wonderful series!

3. Radio Girls by Sarah-Jane Stratford

This book gives rare insight to London during the 1920’s and the years after the first World War. It blends actual historical events with a fictional story. On a more serious note, Stratford shows how terrible women were treated in the work force with shocking parallels to how women are treated in the workforce today. This book features many strong and inspirational females that are both fictional and non-fictional that will encourage you to be the boss we all know you can be. This book is definitely worth reading.

4.  Historical Mysteries

If historical mysteries are your thing, these are the series for you. Maisie Dobbs, Molly Murphy, and Lady Georgina are three strong and clever heroines who reject the societal norms of the times in which they are living. The Molly Murphy series by Rhys Bowen follows a young Molly as she flees Ireland and comes to turn of the century New York City. There, she meets Police Captain Daniel Sullivan and between them forms a ship-worthy love. Molly’s daring actions and strong personality will keep you on the edge of your sear wondering what happens next. The Royal Spyness Series, also by Rhys Bowen, follows Lady Georgina Charlotte Eugenie in 1930’s England as she tries to live normal existence outside of her royal family. Somehow, danger seems to follow her in this riveting story line. Last, but not least, check out the Maisie Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear. This series offers the perfect insight into British life in between the wars as well as during World War II. Seeing the evolution of Maisie as she grows up and solves various mysteries is truly interesting and worthwhile to read. 

5. How to Find Love in a Bookshop by Veronica Henry 

Henry successfully writes a book about books. The main protagonist, Emilia, returns to her home in Cotswold to rescue the family bookstore. Emilia is a strong protagonist that is definitely worth looking up to. She soon finds the books aren’t the only ones with stories to share, each of the customers each have their own stories to tell in her desperate pursuit to keep her father’s book shop open for business. Plus, there is an intertwined love story that we all know we can’t resist. 

6. Woman Enters Left by Jessica Brockmole

If you love the 1950’s and old-fashioned movies, this is the book for you. The protagonist, Louise Wilde (perfect name for an actress, right?) suddenly inherits the estate of Florrie Daniels, a Hollywood screenwriter she is a mere acquaintance of. This novel follows Florrie and her best friend Ethel in the 1920’s and Louise in the 1950’s with parallel story lines as they all discover that not all trips follow a map and that the journey is more important than the destination. 

7. The Wicked City by Beatriz Williams

The Wicked City is another novel that follows two protagonists; Gin and Ella in 1920’s New York. Both are strong female characters who can hold their own in the prohibition era. Williams does a fantastic job writing strong willed female protagonists while interweaving historical and modern story lines. This series is definitely worth taking the time to read! 

8. Modern Mysteries

If modern mysteries are more your style, the Flower Shop Mysteries by Kate Collins and the Aurora Teagarden series by Charlaine Harris are the perfect series for you to read over spring break. Abby Knight is a law school drop-out who now owns a flower shop and is an amateur detective. Like Abby Knight, Aurora Teagarden is an amateur detective and librarian who solves murders and mysteries in her small little town. Both series have similar elements but are different and worth reading in so many ways. 

9. Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter

Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter is another historical novel set in the Italy in 1960’s. However, this is a unique take on a historical novel as it’s story unfolds over a period of 50 years. The novel is about flawed, yet interesting people and how their lives are intertwined. 

10. Where’d You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

This novel follows fifteen year old Bee as she uses emails, letters, and official documents to locate her missing mother. This is a touching story about the relationship between a mother and daughter and their pursuit to find their places in the world. Sprinkled throughout it is humor that will have you laughing and storylines that will have you crying. This book is a whirlwind of emotions, but you’ll enjoy experiencing them. 

Happy reading! 

Thumbnail image via Unsplash. All Images of books hyperlink to author’s website. Gifs via giphy.

Erin Gilmore is a Georgia native, born and raised in Forsyth County. Since 2015, she has been attending The University of Georgia. She is majoring in Risk Management and Insurance and Advertising. She loves to learn new things and go on adventures with her friends. In her free time, she likes to hang out with her dogs, read and travel.