etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why You Should Use a Disposable Camera This Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

In today’s age of social media, we are constantly recording and photographing our every moment. Because of this, the moments end up getting lost in a 600-picture camera roll, never getting viewed again with the risk of deletion when we change phones or laptops. This is why taking a step back and using an old-school approach to capturing the moment will help open your eyes and let you not only enjoy the moment, but cherish the moment forever.

Before you head out on your next adventure, go to your local drugstore and pick up a disposable film camera. This might seem like a throwback to every elementary school field trip you went on, but in the end, it will be worth the experience.  The camera will allow you to take between 20-30 photos. This is the challenge. Instead of experiencing your adventures through the screen of your phone to never even be looked at again, try to only pick the most precious moments to photograph, and most importantly, enjoy your experiences in the moment instead of focusing on how it will look on Snapchat or Instagram.

Using a plastic camera with less than 30 pictures forces you to put your phone down and open your eyes to the beauty in the simplest moments. It allows you to be in the moment, and best of all, take away only the most precious moments in a physical form instead of getting lost in the digital world of social media. When you get your photos developed and printed as a physical photograph, it gives you a physical copy of the moments you can hold and keep forever.

With Spring Break adventures coming up, encourage yourself to put your phone away, buy a disposable camera, make memories, live in the moment and take away only your most priceless moments that would have gotten lost in the otherwise busy world of digital media. 

Sources: [Thumbnail image found here, Photo 1, Photo 2]

I'm a Journalism Student at the University of Georgia