Why You Should Be Listening to By The Book

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

If you like self-improvement tips from Pinterest, podcasts, sassy women, or self-help books, By the Book will be a perfect fit for you.

By the Book is a Panoply podcast where two women follow a variety of self-help manuals to the letter–or by the book–for two weeks. They’ve followed the low-tech path of Bored and Brilliant, bundled in cozy scarves and burned candles for The Little Book of Hygge, got in touch with their inner kindness for Why Good Things Happen to Good People, and more. For two weeks, they document how the books have altered their daily lives, and then they give a final verdict on whether or not they would recommend the book.

Although they give a verdict on how the book worked for them, the review episodes aren’t just about how the books impacted their own personal lives. They also hear verdicts from a variety of listeners who phoned in and reported their own experiences. Sometimes, the books are criticized because they apply to some groups of people well but are inaccessible to others. For example, The Little Book of Hygge is based off a socialized country with a cold climate, so it’s difficult to follow if you are someone with a low income and little free time or if you live where the weather is always warm. Other books are scorned for simpler reasons, like constant typos or pretentious authors.

The hosts are Kristen Meinzer and comedian Jolenta Greenberg, and their hilarious chemistry makes the show a joy to listen to. It’s easy to get to know a little piece of their personalities as you get snapshots of their lives and relationships. They both have supportive, swoon-worthy men in their lives who don’t mind going along with new life plans every couple of weeks. 

If you haven’t hopped on the podcast bandwagon, this one is an easy entry point. Each book gets covered with two episodes that total to about an hour of runtime, and each can be listened to totally independently. You can start from the beginning if you want, or just pick up with the current book, The Miracle Morning. Podcasts are a great way to kill time while driving, getting to work or class, or doing chores like folding laundry. 

Ready to listen now? Check it out online or through the Apple Podcasts app.

Images courtesy of Unsplash: here and here

Kendall is pursuing a bachelors in journalism and a masters in emerging media in at the University of Georgia. After joining Her Campus UGA in the fall of 2015, she became one of the team's Campus Correspondents in fall 2016. During this time, HC UGA has flourished, moving from the Bronze level all the way to Pink, and it has been selected for national partnerships including the Her Campus Tour in 2018. Kendall hopes to someday work in the intersection of technology and journalism, and she adores books, travel, volunteering, and the color teal.