Why I Can’t Keep Up With the Kardashians

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

The Kardashians. Referred to as America’s Royal Family, the Kardashians are known across the nation for their crazy antics on the show, Keeping Up with the Kardashians. As mama bear Kris Jenner leads her clan to the front page of all the tabloids, their fame has split America apart. While some are loyal fans, most people are critical of their personalities and their show. Personally, I belong with those who admire them. You may ask, “How could you even say that!?” Here are the reasons why I do.

When the Kardashians are mentioned, most people exclaim, “Why are they even famous? They have no talent.” Yes, I agree. They have no talent. They cannot sing or dance or act. They have nothing to contribute to showbiz, yet they manage to have a net worth of $450 million. This just proves that you don’t have to be definitively good at anything to be a millionaire, and to me, that is inspiring. Whenever I feel bad about my less than stellar grades and lack of musical ability, I think back to the Kardashians and remember that I too have the ability become a millionaire as long as I let my inner drama queen shine and am as extra and petty as possible.

Can we just talk about how easily the Kardashians can make fun of themselves and then proceed to build an empire off of that? When people started pointing out how ugly her crying face is and made memes off of it, Kim used that as an opportunity to develop Kimojis and countless of other products, raking in thousands. Likewise, Kylie has owned up to her lip injection accusations, admitting that she has her lips done because it has been a lifelong insecurity of hers. While haters teased her, she started her own makeup company that has skyrocketed into one of the most well-known brands in the market. Their capability to keep their heads high despite the haters is their secret to success and, for that, I respect them.

Lastly, the Kardashian-Jenners are honestly one of the most close-knit families that I’ve ever seen. Despite all of the drama and the fighting, they have always been there for each other. It should be appreciated how the sisters stick up for each other through thick and thin, such as Kim’s 72-day marriage and Kendall’s Pepsi controversy. They do some crazy stuff, but at the end of the day, they’re still family and a mighty successful one at that.

Hi! I'm Valerie and I am currently a freshman as a Psychology major. Along with studying and stressing about upcoming exams and assignments, I spend my days binge-watching Netflix, hanging out with friends, and downing coffee like there's no tomorrow. I am the proud plant mom of a cactus named Prickly Paul and a mint named Ralph.